Just received new Macbook Air. Trackpad issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by usmaak, Jul 13, 2012.

1. usmaak macrumors regular

Hi,

I finally got my Macbook Air i7/8/256 this afternoon. I thought I was going to have to wait until I could pick it up at FedEx on Monday, but my neighbor signed for it today. :)

Everything seems fine with it, except for the trackpad. I've noticed that it is not flush with the body. The top and bottom are recessed a bit, which is what I'd expect. But along the left and right sides, the trackpad is slightly raised above the body. I checked my wife's MBA, and sure enough, the trackpad is slightly recessed all around the edge.

Is this something that is normal? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Mine is ever so slightly recessed the entire way around. If you are that concerned about it, consider taking it in. The store might be able to reset it (that's one thing that iFixit said is still fixable). If they have that model in stock (which lots of stores do) they might just swap it out.

3. Wynand32 macrumors newbie

Got mine yesterday and my trackpad is also just slightly recessed all the way around. I'm guessing that's the way it's supposed to be, so if part of it's flush, then it's not been installed 100% correctly.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

same, slightly recessed all the way around. I would assume it is intended to be so.

5. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

Think that this is something that could be fixed in the Apple store, or would I need to return it for a new one? I called the store today, and all they have is the stock 4GB model.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

You can try. Otherwise, they will order you a replacement model and you can swap it out when it arrives.

7. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up returning the original one and had them send a new one. I got it this morning. On this one, the trackpad sticks up in the bottom right corner, and the rest of it is recessed. So this one seems to have the same problem, except along one of the corners instead of along the sides.

At this point, I am just not sure what to do. I suppose that I could start the return process again, but who knows what I'd end up with in another week. Or I could just learn to live with it.

Functionally, it seems fine. But I keep coming back to the fact that I just dropped > $1800 for something with an obvious defect.

I like Apple products, but I sure do seem to get a large number of defective ones.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you take it is store i'm sure they can reset the track pad

9. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

I will give that a try. Do you know if it takes a long time? Like would I have to leave it overnight?

10. snow blind macrumors regular

I've noticed a decrease in quality (or should i say decrease in quality control) with the Air's lately. Get a new one every year and when I got my 2012 i had a key that was broken... pushed into the frame... when i opened the box. Promptly returned but holding off for a while. I've read many other complaints about the new Air's lately. Trackpad, screen and key issues.

11. Raejin macrumors member

Just got mine last Friday. Used for a while and noticed it has two squeaky keys. So I made a reservation on the genius bar in the nearest Apple store on sunday, got it fixed no sweat. The service is good.

If you do not want to replace or return, this is the way to go

12. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Yea, squeaky keys would really bug me after a while. Do you know how they fixed it? Did they need to replace the entire keyboard, or were they able to just fix the problem keys?

13. stchman macrumors 6502a

The trackpad is supposed to be slightly recessed all the way around.

14. Raejin macrumors member

That person just asked me to wait at the genius bar and took my laptop to the back. So I didn't really know what he did to my laptop. But he did explain what he did to the keys. He said he replaced one of the keys like twice and finally the key stopped squeaking. Otherwise he would've replaced the entire keyboard panel.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

16. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Mine tapers downwards, such that it's almost flush at the top, and then the sides progress deeper and deeper until you get to the bottom, which is more recessed than the rest of the case.

I don't really like that feeling much, but it's probably normal.

17. pacer204 macrumors newbie

I've had my maxed out 2012 MBA for a week or two and have noticed the the front edge of the trackpad is slightly above the unibody at the front and slightly recessed at the rear keyboard edge. Its a real pain to get to a Genius Bar for me.

I hope they can fix it there and then in the apple store as I cant keep going back.
    :(