Just Recieved MacBook... Couple Things...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by berkleeboy210, Oct 31, 2007.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Hey Guys,

I ordered a MacBook approximately 24hrs ago from Apple.com, and it's already in my hands, well done. Couple things that have bothered me. This is the first time I've ever bought a Mac immediately after a new OS Release so I have a couple questions.

I got the "Drop-In" DVD in the Box for Leopard, which I'm installing now, but it wouldn't give me an option to do a clean install and just went to the upgrade automatically. Should I be concerned about that?

Second, How many months has iLife '08 been out? It's still not pre-loaded on this machine I got today, either is iWork '08 Trial, both of those are also "Drop In" Dvds.

You would think that by now iLife and iWork (New Vesions) would be preinstalled on all machines.

Other than that, I'm happy with the macbook, and glad to rid of vista. :)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You should have iWork 08 trial and iLife 08 pre-installed. My MBP ordered a couple days before iLife/iWork 08 were announced came with them pre-installed, so everything else should by now...

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nope, All of the older versions were installed i believe it was iLife '06. But both iwork and iLife 08 are on DVDs for me to install...

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well at least you got them with the machine.

5. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

They better come with all machines, and should be preinstalled. they've been out for almost 3 months now. They came out Aug 7

6. DoogieWoogie macrumors member

7. Illicit macrumors 6502

that's normal. what you're buying is essentially a computer with pre-installed version of the newest OS, except you have to install leopard yourself because it's a stock model mac right?
    all pre-leopard stocks include tiger + a leopard upgrade, not the full leopard itself.

8. roblyh macrumors member

I don't know what you think, I prefer a clean install of leopard. I don't think I like the idea of 'drop in' dvd. That's sound silly to me. I know they wanted to clear off their old stock before shipping the new ones. But with the promise of "every new mac ships with leopard" in their online store tells me that every new mac will be pre-installed with full leopard and you don't have to do anything. If they are talking as a hidden meaning of "ships with leopard" as to ships with 'drop in' dvd, and you have to update the software yourself manually... I find this horrible especially when you are anxious to unwrap the new toy. Btw, I read from somewhere saying that when you first time turn on a brand new mac, the mac will be ready and is online as in internet in less than 3 minutes. Shouldn't it be that way? The hassle will be in the future; in case you want to format you the harddisk, you will find yourself to installing Tiger first and then upgrade to Leopard... how troublesome will it be! If they would give you a full 'drop-in' dvd of Leopard, then I won't mind but in this case I find myself being cheated with the update version of Leopard.

Aside that, you are also saying they also include 'drop in' dvd for iLife '08. Oh my, that tells me they have quite a lot of old stock in the warehouse.

I think I will make my transition when all the old stock had completely sold.

9. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm thinking these might be the last batch of the old ones. - Whenever I order from Apple Online, stuff usually ships from PA if it's Stock Model, but this time it shipped from CA, and I'm in Boston.

I will be anxious to see if updates do come within the next 2 weeks, if they do and are big updates, than I might send this one back.

It took a good hour + before I could actually use my mac today.

10. tingly macrumors 6502

'ships with' was the big clue that Leopard wouldn't be installed. If it shipped with a shoulder bag, I wouldn't expect to open the box to find the macbook inside it.

11. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I wasn't expecting Leopard to be Pre-Loaded, It would of been a nice surprise if it was, But I didn't mind installing that myself. iLife was the big shocker, when I first booted into Tiger and saw the old iMovie icon.

12. Drile macrumors member

When the Leopard DVD is inside, hit the options button and it gives you a choice to do a clean install.