Just recorded a new song with my new Blueridge

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bowens, Oct 9, 2007.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

This is the first song I've done with my new Blueridge BR-60CE guitar. I love this guitar. If any of you have never played a Blueridge go find one and play it. You will be blown away. Anyway, this is a love song which I'm not very good at writing but I gave it a shot. Please critique.

Thanks,

http://www.macjams.com/song/35867

2. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

This is not the kind of music that I listen to, but as they say, there's good and bad music of every kind.

Usually stuff posted here is pretty bad, but you my friend, have done an excellent job. This is way better than I expected. You have a good voice, you can play your instruments, you can carry a tune. Already with that, you're rare!

The melody itself (and lyrics) is not exactly of groundbreaking originality, but it's not offensive - which is saying a lot, as 90% of the stuff out there is actually offensive.

And even more rare, I actually liked the arrangements, I liked how the drums and then the piano came in, all very well done. Outstanding.

Now, for the less positive. Who is the bufoon who mixed this and who was the recording engineer? Horrible job on both. Often your guitar steps on your vocal, and the sound balance sucks, the miking on both the vocal and especially the guitar is abysmal. Please sell your car or whatnot, and get someone who actually knows how to record and how to mix.

That said, if you can find an angle (so you don't sound like a million other guys) in your music, you can have a career - you're that good, technically.

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Thanks for the comments. I recorded and mixed it. I really know nothing about music production so that's why I'm asking for feedback. I did notice when I posted it that my live instruments are panned to the left. I think my mic may be messed up. I went home and worked on it some last night and got it evened out. As far as the guitar stepping on the vocals, what can I do to correct that? Do you know of any good sites or books that could give me some direction? Thanks.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Gearslutz.com has forums where you can post your work and get technical feedback about recording and production.

Re: stepping problem. You can do it one of two ways: record the vocal and guitar separately (sing/play listening to the guitar/vocal on your headphones) so it can be mixed - and then pay attention (when mixing) to levels so that the guitar doesn't muffle your vocal in inopportune moments, or record both simultaneously but multimike (separate mike for guitar and for vocal). This kind of stuff is usually done in a studio, unless you really know how to position your mikes (which demands a bit of experience). There's a reason why smth. recorded in your bedroom sounds different from a studio recording :)