Just Reformatted my Mac, Need help on restoring my Itunes library.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 10-Dee-Q, Sep 13, 2007.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    Hi, i just reformated my macbook yesterday, and now i'm confused on how to restore my itunes library.

I did back up all my home folder on my external HD , including all the itunes and itunes music folder.

I've tried to do the
    itunes>file>add to libary and direct it to my Old itunes folder on my External HDD.
    But the problem is that all my ratings, and playlist are gone and one of the mos important thing for me is that i want the "date added" function on my itunes library to be the same as my original, so i remember when i add that song and also because i always sort my librarly by "date added"
    is that possible ?
    thank you very much .

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Drag the entire folder back to its original location in ~/Music.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Simply copy your entire iTunes music folder back from your backup, making sure to copy over the files iTunes Library and ITunes Music Library.xml

Then, hold the option key while opening iTunes, which will then prompt you to select your library file. Select the file you just copied back to your HD, and all your playlists, playcounts, etc should be back.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In future it might be a good idea to test your backup and restore procedures before completely reformatting a drive, even if it didn't backfire this time. ;)

5. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore