Just reinstalled OS but need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lorib, Aug 23, 2010.

1. lorib macrumors newbie

So, here's my deal. I posted below but I think my original question got sort of buried so I am trying again. I'm thinking my question has a simple answer but I'm just not sure, so hoping you guys can help.

I am selling ibook g4 --hopefully tongiht. i re-installed my OS by using the installation discs that came with my computer. I did erase and install, all good. But after doing further research it seems i probably should have erased my hard drive more completely by going into disk utility when first starting up the install and erasing 7x. I didn't do that. So now what? The new OS is in and waiting for the new user to register, etc. Should I sign back in as myself and then try to reinstall again and go through the process correctly? Not even sure if doing that would work anyway.
    My goal is to give the user a new operating system, with my old files just about impossible to recover. Help!!!

2. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

depends on how paranoid you are. With the drive formatted it is very hard for a "normal" user to recover the files. There are some utilities but really who bothers with that. You can do the 7x format if you want. Or you can simply put a new drive in and not have to worry about it at all.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you're pushed for time, a simple zeroing of the drive (i.e. write a zero once, not 7 times) should be sufficient..