Just repaired and verified permissions -- what are these that aren't fixed?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hey,

I've just repaired permissions on my Mac (many were fixed), and then verified them, these aren't fixed though:
Code:
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete
Any idea's why? And is any of this an issue? Oh, just out of curiosity why does it say "they are lrw-r--r--" what does that stand for?

EDIT: I repaired again (and it said it repaired the JavaVM ones, all three of them), and verified again and this is the result:
Code:
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete
They look identical.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Ah, thank you. What about the JavaVM messages?
I wouldn't worry too much about any Java permission errors, they come up all the time in Repair Permissions.
EDIT: better explanation by belvdr below

Oh, and lrw-r--r-- etc. is a symbolic representation of the UNIX (the underlying base of OS X) file permissions themselves.