Just replaced hard drive, now having startup issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thewright1, May 28, 2011.

1. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Hey all,

I'm really frustrated right now and need some help before I launch this thing out of the window. I just installed a new 750gb hard drive in my MBP. Used my start up disc 1 of 2 to start the installation, then once the install process started, I went to "Utitlities > Restore From Backup".

Everything restored properly, I got the "everything has been restored, please restart prompt" ( or something of that nature). Once I restart, the computer attempts to boot, I see the apple icon, then that dreadful message appears (...hold down the power button to restart your computer) I'm sure you guys have seen that one once or twice. But no matter how many times I restart, that message appears. I'm so frustrated with this thing, I don't know what to do. Please help.

2. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

I appear to have some kind of kernel error, and the directions on the site say to hold the shift button to boot in safe mode but that does nothing. The computer still shows the error.

Reference:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742

3. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Problem Solved!

I managed to get this issue solved. After a very frustrating night, to make a long story short i found that you can't restore your time machine back up on a different operating system (i think i may be the only person on the planet that didn't know that). My install discs that came with the computer were for OS 10.4. When prompted, I restored my most recent back up (10.6..). Therefore, i received a nasty Kernel Error when trying to boot up. I thought maybe it was my hard drive but thankfully, it was a huge user error.

I then tried installing a fresh version of Snow Leopard (the $29 upgrade) but that was a no no. You need the full version, the upgrade won't work. At that point, I really thought my HD was dead. After a little more research, I found out about the box set (snow leopard, iWorks, and iLife 09). Took a trip to the Apple store, picked it up and installed Snow Leopard and everything installed correctly. My files were restored correctly and everything. What a learning experience.

4. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Why did you need to buy the box set? Couldn't you just have used your original two discs and then the upgrade discs, then restore the backup?

5. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Well, my backup discs were for the Tiger OS so I would have needed to get Leopard first (which I couldn't get immediately). I needed to be up and running today so I just took the quickest route.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The snow leopard upgrade disc can perform a full, clean install, I've done it quite a bit myself.

7. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

That's strange, I tried it at least 3 times each on three different computers (x2 iMacs and 1 Macbook Pro) and nothing. The minute I put the full version in, it worked like a charm. I don't know what the heck was up, maybe a faulty DVD??

8. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

What drive did you install, Scorpio Black 750? I just ordered one and can't wait to put it in. I need more space something fierce.

9. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

That only works when the disc is newer than the laptop itself. For example, I doubt it would work on the 2011 MacBook Pros or 2011 iMacs because the drivers didn't exist when the disc was made.