Just Replaced My Time Capsule Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lasuther, May 20, 2010.

1. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I have a 500GB time capsule that quickly ran out of space with my 27" iMac 1TB drive. I wanted to buy a Guardian MAXimus 1.5TB Raid-1 Hard Drive for $360 to do my backups. The cost was high and I decided to look into replacing the Time Capsule drive.

I bought a 2TB Western Digital Green internal drive for $130 and replaced it using the Hardmac instructions. The 2TB Green drive runs near silent and is a lot cooler than the original 500GB drive. The swap was easy to do, but I destroyed the rubber mat glued on the bottom.

I bought a Rosewill enclosure for $23 for the 500GB drive. I considered buying a FW800 enclosure, but that was $60 and it didn't seem worth it for a back up drive.

2. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

Glad to hear your swap has worked out well. So, the TC drive was easy to swap out. That is good to hear. Especially about the heat. I took the rubber off the bottom of my TC a while back and put a usb fan below it. Made a world of difference with the heat.

I am looking at getting a HD and wondered about the Roswill enclosures. Never really heard of them before. How do you feel about their build? Decent for the price?

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Rosewill is a NewEgg "house brand". I own 2 of their quad interface single drive 3.5" SATA enclosures and one of their 2.5" USB/FW800 SATA enclosures. All of them work fine. The FW800 cable that came with the 2.5" enclosure was bad, but I had several others, so I just pitched it.

3.5" Enclosure
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182122

2.5" Enclosure
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182183