Just replaced the battery, do I need to condition it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by yetanotherdave, Mar 28, 2010.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I just replaced my iPhone 3G battery. Yes, it is possible don't believe those who say it's not, it took about 45 minutes, but I ended up opening it 3 times, first for the battery, next to sort out GPS, then to get the home button working.

I was wondering if I need to do anything to teach the iPhone that it now has a new, higher capacity battery.
    After installing it it got about a 95% charge, unplugged used, (probably not ideal, I know, but LiOn batteries don't need babying like older batteries) then a full overnight charge. I am now going to let it run completely flat before giving it a full charge. Is there anything else I can do?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

When I replaced mine I just started using as I normally would have :confused:

3. btx2brother macrumors newbie

btx2brother

Just operate your iPhone normally.. Once the warning "20% battery remaining", you should charge your iPhone until fully charged..
    IMHO, you need to calibrate your iPhone regularly, let say once a month, in order to maintain batteries lifetime :)

4. btx2brother macrumors newbie

btx2brother

Definitely agreed ;)

5. SooneratND macrumors regular

That explanation is sort of misleading. Lithium ion batteries don't have a "memory" and therefore shouldn't need conditioning. However, the iPhone sometimes has trouble figuring out how much juice is left in the battery over time and a calibration can help with that.

Here's an article on the MBP's battery, but the principles are the same.

http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2006/03/on-battery-conditioning.html

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Nice job on your battery service... not to drift but...

can you go into detail about your new battery? its specs? how is it doing usage wise compared to your old one? are you seeing that big of improvement?