Just restored Iphone 6, didn't bring health back

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Made a backup of my phone and restored via itunes. Copied my backup back and it didn't keep my touch ID or any of the health data like steps, miles etc. Is this normal?

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Yes that is normal, the TouchID it's a security measure and the health bit a privacy measure

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Yes that is normal, the TouchID it's a security measure and the health bit a privacy measure
I understand the rational behind treating health data more carefully, but does it mean that going forward if we get a new phone we will lose all of it as i tis not backed up? I would be a serious drawback ...

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Touch ID and passcodes are always removed in restores. Health data was only removed because Apple temporarily pulled the Health app to fix a critical bug. I expect in the future health data will be restored too.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
That is actually a very serious issue that needs to be fixed. If users are going to start tracking their entire health history on this thing, it really needs to, you know, not just disappear, ever (unless the user wants it to, obviously). And it needs to be backed up to iCloud, many iPhone users don't have or want a PC/Mac desktop. Thought we were moving away from tethering.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Touch ID isn't restored as it's not stored in software to backup. Your touch ID I info is stored in the secure enclave in the processor. Never stored or backed up to iCloud.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Touch ID isn't restored as it's not stored in software to backup. Your touch ID I info is stored in the secure enclave in the processor. Never stored or backed up to iCloud.
That makes it pretty much useless IMO. Means your health history only goes back as far as your last iPhone purchase? WTF? How useful is that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.