Just restored my less than two week old iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XTheLancerX, Oct 16, 2014.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

From the start I noticed the battery was draining by the minute, but it kept getting worse from last week to this week. I never got more than 6 hours of usage from it, ever.

This is how the typical day looked;

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It sort of has bothered me every time I used my phone. My iPad mini with Retina is excellent with battery life, I can do that same thing on my iPad as on my iPhone, and the iPhone will drain almost twice as much at times.

Today, it hit the last straw. Not even exaggerating or anything, it was seriously going down a percent a minute, just from texting a couple friends, one with iMessage, one with SMS. My brightness was only at 30%, and I had stripped down on all battery draining settings. The phone was *hot* to the touch, almost hurting if you put it to your cheek. I also tested a few days ago whether something was keeping the phone from sleeping properly, and I think that may be the case. I let the phone sit in sleep mode for 10 minutes, and I timed it. When the timer finished, I immediately checked the usage times, it went up 6 minutes and I never used the phone or got a notification. Push email was off, I am pretty sure. If not, I turned it off after and it was no help to my battery life.

I am keeping my iPhone at pretty much factory settings, other than signing into iCloud for contacts/iMessage etc, and iTunes/App Store. Also changed my text tones, and some other preferences but that's beside the point. Just really eager to see whether this has helped my battery or not...

Anybody have any tips for me? I have never had to get a replacement device from Apple before, as I never have had any issues. This time I am seriously convinced that my battery is defective. It is just absolutely ridiculous, especially seeing how others are getting 9+ hours of usage on their iPhone 6's in other threads on this forum. Anyway, my nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away as well.

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'd take it to the Apple Store and swap it. Don't take the earbuds or charger & cable unless you think there's something wrong with those items, too. What you're describing isn't normal. My iPhone 6 is as cool as a cucumber.

You might want to call first to make a Genius appointment & tell them your problem when you call. You can also ask them to be certain that the exact device that you have to swap will be available.

Make a half-day outing of the trip. Drive the 2 hours, do the Apple swap, have lunch and then drive home. Back up your current iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, whichever you use, before you go. Then you can set up the replacement iPhone from your backup and you'll be able to have the positive experience that you should have been enjoying all along.

Good luck, and post your results.

3. pdxmatts, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Do you usually only get one bar? Could it be constantly searching for service? Did you restore and update as new? (not restoring from your backup) Did you reset network settings? Do you have app refresh off? Do you have bluetooth on all the time? Are you streaming videos or music a lot? Here is my last usage on my 6. I have it on wifi most of the time. Mine never gets hot. There is definitely something wrong

Attached Files:

4. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I usually get 1-2 bars of LTE when I am at home, but am on WiFi the whole time, if that makes a difference. Away from home, it ranges from absolutely no service for less than an hour, to full LTE. I am on WiFi some of the time there as well.

After I restored my phone, and set up as new, I put 5 apps on it, 2 of them had notifications enabled. I forgot to turn off push email and background app refresh, so my battery went down 12% in my pocket over the course of around an hour and a half. I turned the settings off and it only dropped 2% over a similar amount of time. Also, when it drained 12% in my pocket, "Usage" went up by over an hour when I never used the device one time for that period of time, the display was off, and I never received any notifications.

Now that I am home today, my device still seems to be draining rather quick on WiFi, but 1 bar of LTE. I have been using the device for half an hour apparently and I am at 95%. However, I may be mistaken, but I don't feel like I have used my phone that long. Maybe 15 minutes. I still only have 5 apps on my phone. Standby is only 9 minutes longer than usage at the moment. I personally think it's too early right now to say anything.

5. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

The lower bars you have, the more battery you'll be killing.

6. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I don't really have much control over that, and under the battery statistics, I barely ever see "Low Signal" under the app. I saw it on two apps just one day out of the week I have had my phone.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I suggest making an appointment at the Genius bar if you can, they have tools to run diagnostics on your phone, including battery.

It looks like you are still in the return window? If so, I would probably get it exchanged.

8. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

9. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

That actually was the first time my iPhone really got hot, it would get warmish before but that happens with any device after extended usage.

10. bnekic, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014