Just returned my MacBook, first time for everything.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c3str, Aug 27, 2007.

1. c3str macrumors member

Admittedly I'm not looking for answers but perhaps just venting off some gloom.

I just sent back my approx. 10 day old MacBook. The screen was flickering like mad. Beyond that, I couldn't deal with the gloss screen, the trackpad had an issue, and the sharp case edges did me in as well.

The MB is on it's way back via FedEx and I ponied up the extra cash for a MacBook Pro.

Please, somebody---tell me I'm going to love it.:)

I can't complain overall. I've been buying Macs since 1995, have had 3 iBooks, and aside from a logic board swap-out, I've never once had an issue or had to ship a machine back. Still, I feel bummed, and really need the portable for work. I'm hoping the turnaround is quick at least.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'll do it.

You'll love it.

I've had 2 MBP's first one was stolen and I really like mine.

Good luck.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I love it too, so much better than the macbook

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Good choice for a replacement. What version did you get - 2.2 or 2.4?

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Had 4 macbooks and now a MBP, once you go Pro you will never go back, and you will love the keyboard :)

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

7. c3str thread starter macrumors member

Cool.

Sweet!

I went for the 2.2. Truth be told, the bulk of my work is done on the desktop machine, and I just couldn't squeeze the budget any more on this one.

Thanks, really. I've really kind of been a grump about this today and this is just what I needed to hear. :D

It was really stressful talking to Apple today to make it all happen, and I was worried because for a while they wanted me to pay the restocking fee even in spite of the faulty display. I ended up in automated system transfer hell for a while, and accidentally got tranferred from tech support--->customer relations--->sales (?). The sales guy couldn't help me, but he took the bull by the horns and stayed on the line while he got me through to someone in customer service.

As far as portables, even though I do design work and web development I've always had an iBook/lower end machine. It really is exciting to step up to a MacBook Pro, even in spite of the sad MacBook saga.

That display was *seriously* wonky, BTW. The flicker/flutter was something else. I see from Google that I'm certainly not the only one with the problem but, wow. Talk about making it impossible to be productive on a machine.

I'm hoping the MacBook Pro is mint :) Fingers crossed!;)

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i can just imagine what they will have when i get a new laptop...it will probly be all holographic and 3D (a.k.a. A LONG TIME)
    lol

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I have to agree. Once I got my 15" MBP at work, I could never go back to an iBook/MacBook. Since getting the 17" at work, I can't imagine even going back to the 15".

You'll love it.

10. gniss39 macrumors regular

Just sold my macbook core duo to a friend yesterday and bought the 2.2 matte MBP at the apple store. I love it and am glad I finally jumped over to the pro line. I was worried about the portability factor cause I'm starting my first year in college this fall but it's only a little heavier and a little bigger so I don't think it'll be a big deal.

11. c3str thread starter macrumors member

ship delay

Whew, looks like I'm going to have a while to look forward to it. Even though I didn't do any custom config., it doesn't look like it will ship until Sept. 11 at the earliest.

I hope I did the right thing! All of your opinions have certainly been encouraging though, so I appreciate it. This is the longest I've been without a laptop since 2000 or so and I think I may start getting twitchy soon.;)

12. Palliser macrumors regular

I've had my macbook for about 2 months now. I do love it, came over from the PC end of things.... love Leopard etc. I must say that the sharp edges on the macbook really can get tough sometimes. Today I was moving my hands to access my "spaces" button on top of the keyboard and I seriously cut my wrist while doing it, actually drew a bit of blood. But yeah I'm seriously considering selling it and getting a MBP when the new ones comes out at the beg. of '08.

Other than sharp edges and dis-colorment of the palm rests, I have no complaints.

13. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago to replace my still working 12"PB.
    While the Macbook works fine, I still prefer using the old PB. It just has a better "feel" about it.
    When budget permits I'll go Pro also.
    Still there really is nothing wrong with the Macbook I think it's a super value.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Dude, MBPs are SUPER SWEET!

Honestly. I love my MBP. It's one tough pony. Se has been through a lot and still performs like she did day one. Not that I abuse the thing, but it is always going between work, coffee, school and home. I go weeks with out restarting and always have all my work and school stuff as well as some play stuff loaded.

Have not had any real issues at all. I had did just to a new install of 10.5, but that was a software issue and did not have anything to due with my computer except she was fed the code.

15. DaveTurnbull macrumors member

Still 2-3 weeks before my macbook pro arrives. :(

Hopefully it gets here earlier than their "delivers by" time.

So excited for it though, should make me more productive with web design.

16. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i went in to comp usa holding a 24 months no interest card with the intention of picking up a black macbook.

My sister has a black macbook with a glossy screen. I have used it, and done my best to convince myself that I could deal with it.... but when i walked in and saw the glossy screen, couldn't do it.

typing this on my macbook pro and lovin' it.

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

THe wonky display sounds like a manufacturing defect. My brother has the same issue with his now dead Compaq/HP. It sounds like a connector problem between the screen and board.

With the MacBook, lets remember, its a consumer laptop, compare that with other consumer laptops and it fits pretty well. Mind you, I'd love to see a clamshell reappear which is ruggardised.

18. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

For a review and good argument for changing, you can see this thread :D

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I really enjoyed your review.

20. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Well.....I had the 2.4 macbook Pro and went back to the mackbook, hated the screen on my matte Pro.....the case is very nice but also had keyboard problems on the Pro, also the battery was not that great, bought the mackbook 2.2 and happy as a Apple :)

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I needed a second macbook and bought a 2.2 blk macbook. I dropped in 4gb of ram and am loving it. I find that it is just as fast as my pro, and I love the battery life!!! But I do like the matt LED screen on my pro better. I also find it runs a lot cooler than my pro. How about you?

22. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I came in here ready to mock yet another person for their stupidly high standards, but you're making the right choice. If I had to choose between a MacBook and an ultra-portable PC, I might actually forego the Mac OS. I hate the MacBook.. I can't stand the cheap plastic feel and I hate how greasy the trackpad gets. The MacBook Pro is clearly the greatest laptop on the market right now...

23. PimpsMac macrumors newbie

Greatest laptop on the market? Just looking at apple's sales alone, the Macbook is the bigger seller. Clearly you're in the minority on this one. Just because it feels cheap, doesn't mean it's actually made cheap. Greasy trackpad? Sounds like a perspiration problem.

24. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Whatever, enjoy your squeaky piece of plastic.

I'm not saying the MacBook is terrible – I've purchased 4 of them for family members – I'm just saying the MacBook Pro is better.

And by the way, obviously pure sales alone are not a good barometer of quality unless the price tag is the same. When it's two to three times more expensive, you can hardly point to volume as the test. Ferraris are better than Fords, but you'll see a damn sight more of the latter on the road tonight when you go home.