Just returned my touch to Best Buy, this is my experience...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by woods1110, Sep 21, 2007.

1. woods1110 macrumors member

I went to Best Buy to return my 16 gig, bad screen touch. It has scratches on it and even a chip on the corner. I walked in and the first thing the CSR said was "your's is bad too?" I said yes it is, would you like for me to show you? She said no, I believe you. I asked her if she had even seen the problem and she said she had not so I showed her the picture of the Jay Z album cover and another person behind the counter. They were shocked but they were aware there was a problem, they just hadn't seen it in person.

So, needless to say, my return experience at Best Buy was flawless!!!!

Now, if they would just get the new ones in....

2. pina-p9 macrumors newbie

pina-p9

lol there was a bunch of people returning them and they didnt know what the problem was

Best Buy rocks though

3. California King macrumors 65816

When do you think they'll get new shipments of the week 38+ ipods? I want it already, but my bb only has week 36

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

One local BB store in Colorado got 20 week 38s in today and now I have one. :p

They even felt bad about the problems with the one I returned and ended up matching Target's price of $359 after discount coupons as I had brought in my receipt from my online Target purchase. :p

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

That's why BB > Apple Store for purchases.

Imagine going back to the apple store...this is what would happen:

OP: "Hi, I bought this iPod touch and the screen looks kinda funky."

Genius: "Really? I've never heard of such a problem."

OP: "Oh, well, here, you can take a look." (shows Genius messed up screen)

Genius: "Oh, that's just a privacy filter...so other people don't see what you're doing."

OP: "Really? I can't even see my own videos. Listen, this is really bothering me...can I just have a new one?"

Three possible answers:

Possibility #1

Genius: "Well, it's kinda scratched up here and that's not covered under warranty."

Possibility #2

Genius: "Your screen is within spec. If you return it there will be a restocking free of 10%."

Possibility #3

Genius: "You can have one more, but after that, we can't just keep opening up boxes! After this I can't let you open a new one without paying a restocking fee."

Possibility #4 (the least likely)

Genius: "I guess the screen does look weird...I'll go get you a replacement."

Why jump through hoops when you can just jump right to Possibility #4 and be done with it?

Consumers have rights to return a defective product. Let them have their restocking free for customers who have buyer's remorse...but for a defective product, common.

I'm glad BB sorted it out for you...

6. woods1110 thread starter macrumors member

4 Best Buys around me got shipments in today. I checked around noon, at 5pm, only one store had any left and that store is about 1 hour away. I am traveling tomorrow to get one.

7. caMi macrumors regular

They tried possibility number 2 when I went in today. I said that is unacceptable, so the guy went to his manager.

Cam back and said well we can give you store credit. I was fine with this since I wanted to buy new ones.. But shouldn't I have really gotten a credit back on my card?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

indeed, I returned my yesterday to BB, I did explained the negative black issue to them, and showed them jay-z's pic, Im not sure if they completely understand the problem, since they didn't say anything, but they didn't object my refund request at all, just agreed, "its within 30 days, do a refund".

and guess what, next time, I still goto BB since its a better option than Apple store.

9. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

returned mine to BB today, the geek squad dude knew exactly why i did too, and they gave me store credit because they were out of stock. So now i have to wait another 2 weeks for more to come....:(

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If you wanted it (i.e. to go buy it at BB) then YES THEY SHOULD HAVE!

This is a prime example of the apple store jerking people around.

If you're happy with it then keep it...if this one is defective go get a refund.

You should see the apple store where I live...after getting an iMac from them the super drive was busted and they actually agreed to change it so I opened up the new one at the genius bar and it has a dead pixel right in the center and I pretty much wouldn't leave the store (with a defective computer...) 'til they changed it. They tried giving me the usual BS of "it's within spec" - complete garbage. They finally did it.

And I don't even want to get into the whole getting-banned-from-apple-store-due-to-broken-macbook-frenzy now.

11. fuzzdawg11 macrumors member

wow you guys are lucky. the best buy here said they won't even get them (but it was some kid who didn't know anything) and yeah i tried returning my bad one and all i could do was get store credit but whats that help if the only BB around here won't get them? i'm not waiting a month for something i already bought and initially should have been good. why can't i be guaranteed a copy at the store or why can't they ship one to that store? geez i hate their costumer service. i have had good relations with apple service though.

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Stores have no control about what quantity they get of a popular item. People were upset when they couldn't get an iPhone the day after launch too, and they survived.