Just rolled back to iOS 6 - feels old!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Risco, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Just rolled back to iOS 6 and it made me realise that while needing work, iOS7 is far superior. I will revisit when the next beta has been out a few days. Anyone else done the same and felt the same?

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I felt the same right after I looked at my iPhone during the keynote :D

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

As the iOS 7 beta is not yet available on the iPad, my iPad mini is still running iOS 6. Coming from using my iPhone on iOS 7 back to iOS 6 on my iPad, I agree, it feels very old.

I am happy with the direction that Apple are taking with iOS 7.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm on iOS 6 mainly for stability issues (i'll probably jump back to iOS 7 once beta 2 comes out), but iOS 6 feels like a different world compared to iOS 7.

5. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

iOS7 lacks contrast.

I like the direction Apple went, but I don't think it's implemented correctly (yet).

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might feel "old", but at least more professional/premium looking, and certainly much snappier (in this case, not jokingly at all, but actually snappier). Makes a difference. Sure, iOS 7 is just in its initial beta, so hopefully all of those things will get addressed/improved.

7. zurichuk macrumors regular

I enjoyed it, for the 2 days I used it, looking forward to trying the next betas etc. etc.

The reason I had to roll back, was that I have a complexity of iMessage / FaceTime emails, assigned to various devices, but under 1 apple ID i.e. wifes phone, my laptop, wifes desktop my phone, etc and each crash / respring seemed to mess this up (and I also like my podcasts for on the go)

8. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Ditto. I went back down to iOS 6 for battery reasons, and some of my most important daily apps were having issues obviously. I find myself hating the lock screen, and it just isn't as pretty and smooth. The animations in iOS 7 (once they get all the kinks worked out and apps are updated to take advantage of these new features) it is going to be BEAUTIFUL!

Can't wait for the GM, and what the next betas have in store.

9. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

After switching back to 6.1.4, iOS 6 looked even better. I couldn't deal with all of the white and neon colors.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's probably a whole lot of debug code in the build, so they can get the maximum amount of feedback from crash reports and the like.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hopefully that's part of it and things will speed up simply from that.

12. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Are you referring to iOS 6's virtual faux leather? ;)

13. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Same here. Rolled back to 6.1.4 for battery reasons; will use my ipad as my developer unit when they release that beta, but iOS 6 does feel so dated now. I happen to like what iOS 7 looked like and think people need to just get over the icons (face it, half those apps go into a folder..) but that's just my opinion.

Can't wait until GM release; this is the most exciting the iPhone has been. I think they did a fantastic job considering how big the change was.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

The other parts of it--like actually nicely designed icons, use of more than just a few overly saturated neon-like colors, less empty white space in apps, more actual useful buttons for touch rather than thin blue words or icons, more readable fonts, etc.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I went back to iOS 6 today. It feels luxurious. Really. I'm sure iOS 7 final will look and feel better than Beta 1 but the design is heading in the wrong direction.

16. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

I rolled back to 6.1.4 this morning, only to reinstall 7 just a few hours later. Hooked. :cool:

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

This is why I refuse to restore back; I know I'll be craving for iOS 7 a few hours later. :eek:

18. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Can you explain what neon colors you're refering to? (serious question)

I see this complaint all over the place..

I see no neon colors on my phone.. The UI is semi-transparent so your background image is what sets the overall tone.

19. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

The color scheme seems to stand out on all the black phones. Where it seems to blend better on the white phones. So when ppl complain about the color, more than likely they have the black phone. And cannot stand the way the UI looks so colorful on it, compared to someone carrying the white one. (In my opinion)

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

In your opinion what makes iOS 6 more premium looking?

21. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

I rolled back a couple of days ago, and I'm really missing iOS7. During my time with it, I missed some apps not behaving, like Skype and PVZ, but I might get it back on my IP5. Can't stand the lock screen :(

22. rasputin1969, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Going back to iOS 6 was like being given a long cold drink of water after walking through the desert.

To me iOS 7 is unusable.

1) Awful, awful icons
    2) The dock is a bland dull blob
    3) The light colored folders are pig-ugly
    4) Some animation transitions are too long
    5) The font is too thin and difficult to read, compounded by
    6) Gaussian blur everywhere, it really is the new corinthian leather. It makes no sense to me to blend content with chrome. The fact that Ive believes blurring content and blending it with chrome is "deferential"...

Regarding the design of the icons. I appreciate that grid-based design is a fantastic technique for print and web as it maximises the impact of white-space. How anyone can believe the same principles can be applied to an area less than one centimetre squared is beyond me.

Rather than look "Modern", the home screen looks like an amateur old Palm Treo theme.

23. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

The bright blue, purple, pink, and yellow of the icons and in some of the apps.

24. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

My friend just popped over and he is still using iOS 6 on his 4S, and it just looked dated, and not even premium-looking anymore. The lock screen notifications made me shudder, with those stupid bubbles and gloss. I've only been using iOS 7 since Tuesday, but really can't see me going back to iOS 6 now. Sure 7 maybe have issues, it's only the first beta, but I am loving the direction they are taking with it.

25. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

I was watching a WWDC UI video last night for iOS 7, and they showed side by side screenshots... it looked like Windows 98 compared to "Windows 2055"!!