Just ruined my 8GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhawk31, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

Received my 8GB RAM upgrade yesterday from OWC, installed it perfectly fine, but then I kept messing with it to make sure it was connected all the way, I ended up pushing one of the sticks too far down and it got stuck. Long frustrating story short, I ended up having to force the memory out and it damaged the edges of it. I didn't even try to re-install the new memory, reinstalled the old stock memory and everything is fine.

Am I SOL on the new memory? I called OWC and they pretty much told me they wouldn't do anything about it. (I'm not saying they should, it was my fault). Does anyone know of any options with my new slightly damaged memory to try and recoup some of my loss? I'm so mad at myself for messing with it after I successfully put it in. Bad feeling I'm gonna end up paying for another 8GB kit and now my cost is well over $700 for an 8GB upgrade... FAIL

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Make a backup of your machine and then test to make sure the memory is actually dead. It's kind of pointless to start a thread like this when you might not actually have a problem...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have one working 4GB module though? You could live with 6GB and wait for 4GB module prices to come down

4. jhawk31 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats a good idea, i didn't know I could mix/match the memory sticks. One of the 4gb sticks appears to be fine and I'm not installing the other one, it looks ridiculous, lol.

5. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

+1