Just rung apple regarding buying an MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dan0903, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Dan0903 macrumors member

I said about looking at a mid-range, and then cheekily asked about when penryn was expected. ;)

He said they arent given that information:mad:

but also, He said i cant get a student discount!

I'm 17, (18 in a month) and currently at college, hopefully going to uni, which is what i told him, and he still said no student discount.

Ive read the website and theres nothing about being at university only "students over 18 in full time education, or parent buying on behalf of a child in full time education" :confused:

2. Boothy macrumors newbie

Dan are you in the UK?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Anyone accepted, currently enrolled, or employed by a university is elegible. If you are in HeadStart or whatever it is called, you are out of luck.

TEG

4. Dan0903 thread starter macrumors member

I currently reside in merry old england :D

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

What's the question with the student discount? You're not 18 and what you quoted said you need to be 18. It couldn't get anymore clearer than that.

I also don't get what you're saying about how you're in college and you're going to go to a university? College and university are typically interchanged, unless you mean you're going to transfer to a larger school. The main designation between college and university is size.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not in the UK.

7. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Did he ask your age or did you provide it first? I've never been asked my age at Apple stores and they are extremely liberal with the edu discounts. I got one on my MBP even though I said I'd graduated 3 years ago.

8. Meep macrumors member

I just started Uni this year and from what i remember when i was at college there is a higher education store for uni people and has about 16% discount. There is then a further education store which i think your college needs to be part of a special program for you to be eligable and depending on certain things can range from 12% discount to 14% i think.

You can go into any apple store and tell them your College name, they'll then look it up in some big book and tell you what discount you are entitled too (if any).

Here is a link to the uk education store page: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/routingpage.html the uni store is only accessiable from a uni network and you have to ring a number for the college one or you can just go to an apple store and show your school id.

9. JWest macrumors 6502

Do they even check to make sure you're a student if you order online?

10. Meep macrumors member

in the uk you can only access the education store through your uni's network so they do.

11. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I think its an 8% saving up to A level, and 14% for Uni.

my friend got a MacBook when he was under 18 at an Apple Reseller, and they did not mind what so ever, he just took proof that he was in education (in the for of a letter to his parents)

if you are going into university, AND are waiting for new macbook pros, it would be very advisable to wait, and get the full 14%

12. Meep macrumors member

Like i said my friend depending on your college (i think it has to be affiliated or something) the discount you get varies, that's why he should ring up/go to an apple store and tell them his college name and the name of his future uni and then see the difference in discount. Apple Store's have this big book that says what people from each college and uni are entitled to.

I know this as when i was deciding if i should get a mbp when at college or wait til i was at uni or use my 12.5% discount at John Lewis (used to work for Waitrose) i went and asked in an apple store and told them my college and my future uni names. I was then told that i would get 12% as a college student or 16 as a uni student and all uni students are the same as it's one site but because the college discount is variable and done on a case by case status there can't be one store for college people.