Just running this by you all

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lil Chillbil, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Ok So I am about to get a 1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 from a friend and its running tiger so I figured this is how I could get leopard on it.
    Specs 1.42ghz Powerpc G4
    1 gig of Ram
    80gb hdd
    Combo Drive

Step 1 I am going to boot up my Mac mini and download carbon copy cloner

Step 2 I am going to create a new 20gb partition on the drive of the mini

Step 3 connect it over firewire to my powerbook running leopard

Step 4 Use carbon copy cloner on my mini to copy my powerbooks drive over to the new partition

Just making sure everything looks right

2. RedCroissant Suspended

That looks right to me. That's the way I got leopard onto my iBook from an iMac G5. Just make sure you download the free version of CCC. They don't make it anymore, but you should still be able to find it.

But you could also do everything from your PowerBook as well and not have to download CCC onto the mini util you have leopard on there.

I would also recommend cloning the tiger partition as well just to have a copy of it. I have clones of every OS I have used in case I have to reload it or if I want to be nostalgic and travel back in time.

3. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Do you want to save anything on the mini? I'm asking because the only way I know to create a new partition on a drive is to erase the entire drive, and reformat it.

So, if you are going to have to erase the entire drive and reformat it...why not just:
    a) connect shut down mac mini to powerbook g4 via firewire (powerbook can be running).
    b) turn on mac mini, and hold down "t" to start it in firewire target mode

The mini should then start up in "firewire target mode" and show up as an external firewire drive on your powerbook.

And then you can do with it what you want with it, including your steps 1-4 above. It really will be and act just like an external drive.

4. archtopshop macrumors regular

You can use Target Disk Mode as described above and then use Disk Utility instead of CCC. See below from the Help Menu in Disk Utility.

5. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

yes I want to keep a small tiger partition on there in case I run into another mac that can't run leopard and I don't want to put amiga on so I can do the same thing but with tiger

6. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I heartily endorse this. I don't see how you will be able to do what you want to do without a third drive to back up the original system on. I do not believe Disk Utility will create a new partition on a drive without erasing the whole drive.

I would recommend you get another external drive, clone the mini to the external, and then you can safely do whatever you want with it.

I also recommend Superduper! which is still completely free for what you want to do.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here is a Link to an article on creating a second partition non-destructively under Tiger (10.4.6 min.)
    Not the easiest way, but I tried it on my 10.4.11 system and it does work.
    Please make sure any important data is safe before trying this, always good advice.

8. archtopshop macrumors regular

How about this:

Use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the Tiger partition that's on the Mini.

Transfer the image to the Powerbook via Target Disk Mode for safe keeping. (Of course, the OP must have enough room on the laptop drive for the image.)

Use Disk Utility to partition the Mini.

Use Disk Utility to restore the Tiger partition from the saved disk image, and then Disk Utility again to copy the Leopard partition.

9. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

that seems like just a more complicated way to do the same thing

10. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I'd recommend getting a external hard drive with a Firewire output on it. Then create a customized version of Leopard and/or Tiger on it and just use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone it to your desired partition.

And by customized version, I just mean install Leopard and/or Tiger on your external Firewire drive and install whatever apps you like having on your Macs, then you don't have to spend time installing them each time you clone the HD over to another HD.

I do that with my Macs and the Macs I occasional repair for (or buy for) family and friends and it saves a TON of time. Cheap Power PC Macs are a great gift for family members, kids, etc. and a nice way to introduce someone to OS X without them feeling like they are sacrificing Windows. Let OS X sneak it's way into their hearts and minds and before they know they start to realize Windows is a mess and believe they came to realize that on their own. ;)

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

With those specs, Leopard is supported, if you can get a 10.5 installer disc/image then you can just use that fine.

12. archtopshop macrumors regular

I was only trying to show you a way to do it with what you already have at your disposal, without needing to hunt down CCC or SuperDuper, or another external hard drive.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

13. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I already have ccc on my personal file server g3