Just saved $35/month on ATT bill

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mitch Rapp, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Mitch Rapp, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

Mitch Rapp macrumors newbie

Hopefully, this will help someone out. We have 2 phones (iPhone 6 and 6 plus), with unlimited talk and text, 20GB under a 2 year contract with ATT. Our bill after taxes and fees is usually $175 (Includes 26% discount from my company).

We were seriously considering switching to T-Mobile. I called ATT Cancelation and explained we wanted to switch because of the cost. TMobile is $100 plus taxes and fees and it included international data and text.

The ATT agent offered to switch us to the NEXT plan (and release us from our contract). Since we have been under contract for over a year, we would own our IPhones outright. The only catch is they have to send us two Nokia phones that would cost us $5 month until we pay them off ($100 total, so 12 months payment). We can continue to use our IPhones, and don't have to use the Nokia phones.

The bottom line: Nothing changes with our plan. Our bill will go from $175 to $138 a month. After we pay off the Nokia phones then our bills go to $128. I stayed on the phone for over 1.5 hours going through every possible loop hole or trap that I could think of! The only downside that I found was that we would lose the 25 GB of rollover data that we've built up. Obviously, that shouldn't be an issue since we never even get close to using 20GB a month.

Again, hopefully this could help someone out. If you've done this and ended up regretting it, please let me know! Good luck.

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

as long as you can live with the coverage, it's a good move. for me personally, t-mobile or even sprint would not suffice.

3. Mitch Rapp thread starter macrumors newbie

We ended up staying with ATT and the spotty TMobile coverage was one reason we did it.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yep. i would love to jump on one of those great deals, but coverage is first priority. i also travel a lot, so consistency is just as important.

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Just be aware that if you want new iPhones in the future, there is no subsidy and they will cost you roughly $30 each a month, raising your monthly bill to a higher amount than you were paying.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. Depending on the specific phone model and financing plan you choose, you could end up paying up to $47.50/mo installment per phone (Next 12, Plus 128GB). Of course, you do avoid paying $200-500 upfront.

7. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I switched and I actually have better coverage. it's not the case for everyone though. I also love wifi calling.

8. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Exactly, no up front costs. If and when OP decides to upgrade, they can sell their old equipment and pay down balance on new stuff. Some people make next out to be the devil but it really can work out well for some plans.