Just scheduled a refresh driving appointment!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Just thought I'd share with you all that after 5 years of not driving over mild pdst of a previous auto accident, I've finally mustered up the courage to schedule a 2 hr refresh drive with an instructor on Monday after work! Although it is expensive for just 2 hours, I'm both anxious and excited to try again and I'm sure that this is a worthy investment for my safety in life. No more taking the bus, wahoo!! :)

Still not sure if I want to fork out another expense for a second drive for nighttime. But for now I'm hoping for the best this Monday. Any of you guys take a driver refresh class of any kind? I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have never felt the need to take another driving class since I first took driver's ed back in high school.

Good luck with yours.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    No, have never taken a refresher course. I just try to apply the things I've learned over years of driving. Like avoiding left hand turns on a busy road if there's no traffic light present, always using my turn signals (especially when changing lanes), keeping plenty of room between me and the car in front. Basic, common sense stuff.

Best wishes to you on Monday, and am betting that once you get on the road again and your confidence returns, you'll manage evening driving quite well.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What you two previous responders seem to have glassed over is that this is not a refresher after years of driving but a refresher after years of NOT driving due to a traumatic experience. Not a terrible idea to do IMO, you get "rusty" after time away. Saying "I've never taken a refresher" has less meaning considering you haven't had an extended period of time not taking the driver's seat.

To the OP, best of luck to you. If you can afford it, do what you feel is best for safety, for you and the others on the road with you.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    While I agree wholeheartedly with the second paragraph of your post, I'm unsure how you can be so certain that either I or ucfgrad93 have not gone through an "extended period of time not taking the driver's seat."

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Sure, that's not really how the posts read but I guess that could be the case..