Just scored a 2005 dual 2.3.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appleish19, Jan 14, 2016.

1. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I can't believe it I just scored a 2005 2.3 dual G5 for 40$. Four gigs of RAM and GeForce 6600. :) Since it's the last of the air cooled models it will make a good brother to my G5 quad. Can't wait to get it set up with an SSD.
    There are deals out there you just have to find them :D:apple:

Attached Files:

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

A dual core eh? I once had a DC 2GHz and wish it was a 2.3, owell I have my Early 05 2.3 that can fill that gap :)

3. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Nice. I into process of installing lepoard iLife and iWork. Definitely want to get a Quadro FX 4500 for it and an Intel ssd. What do you have in yours?

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Currently has a ATi Radeon 9600 128MB, used to have a 9650 256MB before I sold it after I thought I would keep the Dual Core (which I didn't, I traded that G5 for 8GB of DDR3 and a 120GB SSD that I put in my 2010 MBP) and currently have a 500GB WD Black drive in it.

Those Intel SSDs are amazing by the way! I have one in my Hackintosh and it has R/W speeds of 300MB/500MB, insanely fast!!

5. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Nice if I can find a X1900XT I would be all over it.
    Yeah even with sata 1 it will be a huge boost.

6. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Very nice find! I always wanted to get my hands on that 2.3GHz model.

I just finally refurbished my Quad by picking up a junked donor machine. Quite happy with the results!

7. appleish19, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Definitely the guy who was selling it was very adamant that it was obsolete. Hence part of the reason why I got such a good price.

Yeah my quad is great as well. Really want to get 16 gigs of RAM for each. And a Quatro FX 4500

8. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I bet all she needs is a good cleaning! What are your fan speeds like? My memory blanks on how loud the air cooled ones were. It's been a long time since I owned one. I want to say I had a DP 1.8 '03 back in the day.

9. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

I'm actually surprised how quiet it is. Even during install process and goofing around. Just a gentile whooshing. Will have to throw YouTube and iMovie at it:D.
    I think after a good dusting it will be a nice day to day machine and workhorse.

These G5's are still very capable. I can do everything my MacBook Pro does but a bit slower.

10. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I agree! Funny, I've been feeling nostalgic lately. I'm contemplating editing my next film/video project on the old Final Cut Pro and the quad. I learned everything I know with that software (1999-2011) and really do miss it. Sure, my 12 core cMP and iTrashCan at work could probably do circles...but, as Scotty once said "Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away."

BTW...I currently have the G5 hooked up to my 27" LED Cinema Display (lugged the old 30" into the basement for the wife) and I can't believe how awesome the old UI on 10.5.8 looks. I've gotten so used to the new OS look. It's incredible how clean and crisp things really were.

11. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

I actually just watched "relics" ;) got me reading about Dyson spheres for that whole night.
    It's not so much nostalgia for me just the wonderful industrial design and ability to do more with less. Plus when it's cold in my room two G5's help.

12. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Haha, I hear you on that. I've got the upstairs of a 1.5 story as kind of a 'man-tic' video edit play room. It gets pretty cold around these knee walls. Pay close attention to what I named my G5 hehe(screenshot from another thread attached).

I've got a little infared space heater, but that one doesn't let me tinker with beloved software of yesteryear.

Attached Files:

13. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Like the name. Yeah I'll set mine to render for an hour or two and then I am nice and warm.
    what kind of software do you use?