Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I was very luck to get from a friend a Ruby iMac DV.

I just tried to upgrade it to Tiger but says it is incompatible. What gives?

Thanks for help...

I.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
mad jew said:
Has it already got OSX on it? Do you have the latest firmware installed? Are you using a retail copy of Tiger? :)

It got 9.0.4 I haven't hooked it up to the internet yet. Yes I have the retail version of Tiger.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well these old iMacs needed their firmware updated before you could install OSX (actually only 10.2 and later from memory) so if you can install that, you should be laughing. :)

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
mad jew said:
Okay, well these old iMacs needed their firmware updated before you could install OSX (actually only 10.2 and later from memory) so if you can install that, you should be laughing. :)

Thanks I'll try it...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Once the firmware etc is upgraded how are you planning on installing Tiger? Have you got the CD versions of it because that iMac doesn't have a DVD drive.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Chundles said:
Once the firmware etc is upgraded how are you planning on installing Tiger? Have you got the CD versions of it because that iMac doesn't have a DVD drive.

Good call Chundles. :)

punkmac make sure that your iMac can read the media that you have Mac OS X on. :)

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
My old sage iMac DV has a DVD-ROM drive, and I think all ruby ones do too, so I think he'll be ok.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sutekidane said:
My old sage iMac DV has a DVD-ROM drive, and I think all ruby ones do too, so I think he'll be ok.

Mactracker shows the Ruby iMac as either coming with a 24X CD-ROM or a 4X DVD-ROM drive. :eek:

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
dmw007 said:
Mactracker shows the Ruby iMac as either coming with a 24X CD-ROM or a 4X DVD-ROM drive. :eek:

You guys have been busy!

Correct this the maxed out version I think. 20 gig HD DVD DV connection

Trouble is I can't connect using Ethernet. Don't know how to get the IP address! I am totally in the dark with OS 9. I downloaded the firmware but it was for 9.1 and later so that was no good and you need 9.1 to update to 9.2

AAAARRRRGG!

Now I have to find the correct updates. Currently looking through Apples site...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
punkmac said:
You guys have been busy!

Correct this the maxed out version I think. 20 gig HD DVD DV connection

Trouble is I can't connect using Ethernet. Don't know how to get the IP address! I am totally in the dark with OS 9. I downloaded the firmware but it was for 9.1 and later so that was no good and you need 9.1 to update to 9.2

AAAARRRRGG!

Now I have to find the correct updates. Currently looking through Apples site...
DHCP on 9.04 should work just fine. Hell my 8500 running 8.6 finds an IP address without even having to bother with the control panel.

What are you plugging it into?

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Eidorian said:
DHCP on 9.04 should work just fine. Hell my 8500 running 8.6 finds an IP address without even having to bother with the control panel.

What are you plugging it into?

A cable Modem...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
punkmac said:
A cable Modem...
Yeah, sometimes ISP's lock your modems to one MAC Address. So that means only one computer can connect to the internet since a MAC adress is unique. Are you sure you don't have a router around?

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Eidorian said:
Yeah, sometimes ISP's lock your modems to one MAC Address. So that means only one computer can connect to the internet since a MAC adress is unique. Are you sure you don't have a router around?

No I run the ethernet cord right into the Imac G4 and share with airport to my Mac Mini. Maybe if I reset the modem and restart the Ruby.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
punkmac said:
No I run the ethernet cord right into the Imac G4 and share with airport to my Mac Mini. Maybe if I reset the modem and restart the Ruby.
Ever try plugging the mini in via Ethernet? Your iMac G4 just acts like a router (Runs its own DHCP server). What machine did you use to set up the cable connection. Still, your solution might work.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Eidorian said:
Ever try plugging the mini in via Ethernet? Your iMac G4 just acts like a router (Runs its own DHCP server). What machine did you use to set up the cable connection. Still, your solution might work.

iMac G4

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well, colour me learned for today, didn't know you could get DVD drives in iMacs that long ago, I thought they only appeared in the last few versions.

That's my one thing for today, I'm off back to bed, at 12:45pm...

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Eidorian said:
Yeah, if you can try plugging in the mini to see if your modem is locked to your iMac G4's MAC address. Otherwise good luck on the reset.

The restart did nothing. I know what you are getting at with the G4. I haven't pluged the mini in yet. My wife needs the internet right now.

I tink OS X just knows when it can connect, 9 does not it seems. I have switched the cord with an emac before a it just connected no problem.

Oh, I forgot the iMac wasn't free. I bought it for a pack of Marlboro Menthol Lights!

Man nothings easy!

I.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.