Just scored a free remote for my MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dopey220, Apr 11, 2007.

1. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

So, I lost my Apple Remote months ago. Today I was at school and asked the Network Administrator if the remotes for our school's new iMacs were just lying around somewhere. He said they were, and gave me one without even hesitating. Sure beats the hell out of spending $25 on a new one.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Your school has macs :eek: My school is so primitive, all we get is new Celeron PC boxes...

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ditto.....takes like 4 minutes to launch a freaking browser. Booting up is another story...might as well go have a game of tennis whilst its booting, you'll probably come back to find it at "Loading personal settings..."

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Wow, that's a nice find. I wonder what they do with all of those extra remotes...?

My school had Power Macintoshes. I want to say it was something like 5500/225? We still have one in the computer lab. Then we got Pentium III Gateways running Windows 98. (This was in 2000...) They run awful. I finished my Word assignment a couple weeks ago in class and asked if I could go on the old Mac. I opened Photoshop (version 4 or 5) and it ran beautifully. Well, pretty fast for that Mac. I ran a couple of filters and everything and it worked nice. I can't imagine running Photoshop on my school's current computers though.

5. AVID macrumors member

AVID

Our uni has about 30 powermac G5s dual core lined up just for our department. (alas, no remote controls) :D

6. Collin973 macrumors 6502

My department uses all kinds of macs. All the professors are given an iMac and each of the classrooms have a titanium powerbook connected to a projector in the ceiling. And last semester in the lower computer lab, there were 25 or so G5's with nice 20" apple displays and now there are 20" intel iMacs. I was really pleased to see the use of macs at my university.

I wondered what they did with those G5's. I wouldn't mind find 1 or 25 in a dumpster!

7. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Probably gave them back to Apple in return for a discount on the iMacs.

8. Collin973 macrumors 6502

well I guess I don't need to walk past the dumpsters anymore...:(

9. dopey220 thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

It's because I'm a graphic design major. For a community college, it's a great program. We have Core Duo iMacs in the labs (Mac Pros in the room where my 3D modeling class is), along with the latest software. It puts the design programs of surrounding universities to shame.

The iMacs are actually replacing the eMacs we had until a couple semesters ago. When they were replaced, they were sold to the students for $75 apiece. Check out my sig for specs.

10. wardc03 macrumors newbie

free remote

I came across this topic and I DO realize that it is old. But I just wanted to tell everyone that I called Apple today to see if my new MacBook Pro came with a remote and they said, "No, but ya know what? We'll just give you one!" So they just shipped it out with free overnight shipping! I couldn't believe it. They just straight up gave me a free remote for my MacBook Pro. I have used mac for quite some time now but now I think that I am a Mac Junkie for life.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

We still have iMac G5s, but they said they are due for an upgrade this summer. We do have Mac Pros, but that's just in some clusters.

12. Greenhoe macrumors regular

My College Upgraded just a year ago to Single Quad Core Mac Pro's with 23in Cinema Displays.

All the Graphic, Web, Computer Based Classes now have the Mac Pros, where all other classes have old Pentium Dells with 512 Ram which take 20 mins to load up.

I'm very happy we got the Cinema Displays as we use to have to work on 17in Monitors with the G5s.

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

The library and computer lab at my school both have iMacs and they are great but they automatically boot into Windows and I usually forget to go to Mac :/

ChrisN

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Sometimes they do that because once they made a mistake and wrote on the Apple site that all computers come with a standard remote included.

Infact i think its still on the site somewhere, maybe in a video by that guy who always starts saying "Hi im john and i work in one of the Apple retail stores"