Just scored a sweet deal on a use G4 Cube

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macaddict23, Dec 11, 2008.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Craigslist seller originally had this listed for $60. So I immediately called him up only to find out he made a mistake on the asking price. What he really wanted was $100. Considering the value of its parts is about $470, I bought it!

450MHz Cube ($65)
    Airport card ($35)
    Power supply ($60)
    Original pro speakers ($45)
    1GB ram ($40)
    160GB with 10.4 ($65)
    Geforce3 MX ($160)

I'm happy :)

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

G4 cubes are wicked good looking. Nice pickup.

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

$100 = about £70, yup, thats a very good deal. Especially factoring in collectability which will keep increasing as the Cube was/is extremely desireable. Great buy.

4. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Okay. I have to show you guys a snippet of my Apple collection. I now have 11 Cubes. The two that are in the closet are mint-to-near-mint 450MHz and 500MHz models. The rest are 450s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mac SK macrumors member

Wow...Macaddict23...Thats way I can't find any cubes at the junk stores. Like the shelf setup..COOL!:apple:

6. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Wow!! What do you use all those cubes for? 11, so that's like a fair percent of all the cubes ever sold then ;)

7. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I've got two.

I wouldn't mind having that many, though. Neither of mine are in "mint" condition.

I have all of the peripherals, etc. I do NOT have an original box, which I would like to obtain.

Mind if I ask where you get all of your stuff from?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wow, somebody is trying to corner the market.

Did you get all of those parts for $100, not just the Cube? If so, that was a hellava deal.

9. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Wow macaddict23 that's insane what are you doing with all of them?

10. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I got them all from eBay and Craigslist.

11. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Lol you realize they are G4 Cubes... not Pokemon. I mean you don't have to catch them all. :D

12. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Yes. What's funny is that the seller used to work for Apple.

13. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Hahahaha!! I know. But like I said, it's one of my all-time favorite macs.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Ha! I bought my Cube (my first Mac) from an Apple employee in 2003. Drove down to Cupertino to pick it up.

16. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Ironic as I'm in the market for a Cube right now.

I'm in the process of acquiring a 1st gen Powerbook... PB-140 I think and a Mackintosh LC. Not much really, but every bit adds to the ol' collection :) Anxious to find a Cube though.

Congrats on your G4 Cube man, I consider them to be one the finest looking Apple products.

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I bought a Cube a few years ago, but I had some weird troubles with it. It behaves as though there is a loose contact in the power supply cable (which might very well be the case). It will work happily for a while, then if I try to move the Cube or touch a cable the wrong way, it suddenly powers off.

It's just sitting around in the house because I'm not sure what to do with it.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it "powers off" (i.e., shuts down or goes to sleep) it's likely an issue with the touch button. If it actually goes dark, it's probably something in the power supply or cables, maybe a bent pin or some such thing.

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, it physically cuts out, like I yanked the cord. What I should try and do is find someone locally who has a Cube so I can try my power adaptor on their Cube, and vice versa, to see if I can isolate the problem.

The fear of suddenly losing power means that my Cube has no practical use right now.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It could be the power supply itself, but given the symptoms you describe, it sounds more mechanical, like a cable. The power cable (on the DC side of the power supply) is a fairly complicated beast. You might check the connector to the Cube for bent or loose pins.

22. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Grats on another cube. If you ever feel like selling one, it's something I'd really like to pick up (but don't have a lot of money) :eek:

23. mBurns macrumors 6502

Love the Cube. I have had mine for a long time. Can't seem to part with it. Use it downstairs in the kitchen as a internet portal for the entire family.

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I know where I'm coming IF and WHEN i need some parts!! :D Supurb collections there, how many Cubes you reckon there are in the world?

25. cping500 macrumors newbie

Wonders of the Cube

Mine which is 2003 purchase of a 'refurbished' cube is still in daily use. It has been upgraded with a 1.4g processor and a 120G HD. and Panther. In everyday use it is quite adequete. It runs Elgato's G4 DTV tuner/pvr but need more RAM. It's a bit slow for HD clips :) I need to upgrade to Tiger and install a Airport card. I rely on the cubeowner site for expert help. (thanks).

I bought it so it would fit as an object d' art in the parlour:) I always thought it should have been sold as an execultive desk decoration with a popup LCD monitor. Ive's design needed some how to hide the 'wires' so that the case and it blue light was uncluttered. The aircooled fanless engineering is cute as well.

Some of the 'cubeowners' have installed Leopard, but probably Leopard without the black spots (Snow Leopard) with be beyond it...

A modern equivalent might be a recased mini (the mini is designed to 'disappear' unseen) clad in an tribute to Ive's elegance.