Just setting up my 2018 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Applefan2015, May 28, 2019.

1. Applefan2015 macrumors member

Applefan2015

Today I purchased my 1st Apple MacBook Pro

Have always used windows, hopefully it won’t take me thy long to learn all I need to know.

Also got a Magic Mouse 2

Many users here using the spec I got below?

From the retailer I got it from, it was the top spec they had.

[​IMG]

Spec:

Apple MacBook Pro Touch 2018 15 In i7 16GB 512GB Space Grey

Thanks for reading

Applefan2015

2. chabig macrumors 603

Your MacBook has a wonderful trackpad. It’s much more powerful than a mouse because of gestures. I recommend you keep your mouse boxed for a while while you learn the Mac trackpad.

3. Applefan2015 thread starter macrumors member

Applefan2015

Thanks for your input.

I got the following accessories for my MacBook Pro

[​IMG]
    Western Digital 4 TB My Passport for Mac Portable Hard Drive - Black

[​IMG]
    Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter V2-4K HDMI (30Hz), Gigabit Ethernet, USB-C Pass-Through, SD/Micro Card Slots, USB 3.1 for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro, 2

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8152163

Anything else I need to get the most out of the MacBook?

Thanks

4. chabig, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

chabig macrumors 603

Huh? We can't answer that. You have to figure out what you want your computer to do. Decide what you want to use it for, then find appropriate software and/or hardware. It all depends on your needs and wants.

5. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

Congratulations on making the move. Your going to find Mac to be a MUCH better experience than Windows particularly long term.

The main thing I made sure to have handy when I made the move to the newer macs was the dongles. A USB to USBc adapter, a multimedia adapter that also offer usb to usbc as well as HDMI, and of you do anything with SD Cards, get the usbc to SD Card adapter.

Other than that, the interface is pretty straight forward and offers a lot of shortcuts you could learn.

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Just use it. Open it up, use it. That's how you get the most out of your MacBook. Once you start using it, you can start looking at what people recommend for applications.

I use Day One for journaling
    Slack for work communication
    Notability for college class lectures and note taking.
    Microsoft's 365 suite is highly recommended especially if you're still in college.
    Think about getting OneDrive or some iCloud storage for your documents.
    Turn on Time Machine with that 4TB drive and connect it regularly.

I got this so I could put my Mac at more of a viewable height: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WRDS0AU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

Libre Office writer makes a great alternative to word or pages and is free, if you need to type anything.
    i would use time machine after you are all set up as far as files and programs are running as you like.
    enjoy your new laptop!

8. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

congrats~~~
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    a good case! :)

9. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Buy an external drive or NAS for Time Machine and back it up regularly.

10. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

Congratulations. When I switched from Windows to macOS, it was not long before I started wondering why I hadn't done it years earlier. No going back. macOS is just so much better.

11. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors regular

I made the switch a long time ago. For about the first couple of mos I hated it and had a terrible feeling I’d made a mistake however, that had more to do with the inefficiency’s surrounding the hit to my workflow. Stuck with it and wouldn’t go back to Windows for anything so long as there’s a choice.

Congrats and good luck. Hang in there if you get hung up on anything and I’ll bet you’ll come to appreciate MAC OS more & more wondering why you hadn’t made the switch sooner.