Just so you know, Apple charges instantly.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Advil, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

Some people were saying that Apple won't charge you til the order ships, and some people noted that AT&T charges you $1 to verify, then the rest when the order ships. I placed my order (FINALLY) just 5 minutes ago and it already showed up on my credit card.

No confirmation email, but they took my money

Just a heads up.

[​IMG]

2. wishman35 macrumors regular

Is this true, if so I am going to order from AT&T asap...

Please let me know anyone else!

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I know with iPad they authorized only so it was a pending charge. Preorder was more in advance though.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

AT&T won't be any diifferent.

If you can't afford the phone....don't buy it.

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

isn't that just an authorization to make sure you have the money to cover it in your account? Then it will go away & finish the charge on the day it ships....thats the way pre ordering on apple has worked in the past in my experiences

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Confirmed. Pre-ordered from AT&T store, check banking account and the $212 was withdrawn.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's what happened last year with AT&T. It scared me because I was thinking something had happened to cancel my order when the charges suddenly disappeared from my account a few days after they showed up (which was right when I ordered).

8. wishman35 macrumors regular

Well I was just wondering if Apple withdraws the money also?

And enough with the condescending don't buy it if you cannot afford it... I would just rather the charge be posted later after my statement closes so I can pay it at the end of August instead of July. It just feels better.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm a merchant, so I know how this works. If you are using a debit card, the funds will show as actually withdrawn from your account even though it's just an authorization. Apple hasn't gotten the money yet, but it's put on hold for a period of time. How long that is depends on your bank. For all intents and purposes the money is in limbo. That's just the way it works.

If you use a credit card you might see the authorization show up if you are looking at your live transactions on line, however by the time the statement gets generated, it will "fall off" and you won't see it again until they "settle" the authorization. Most people never see this all happen because they don't see their live transactions but just look at a paper statement.

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I ordered though att premier and no funds or authorization has shown up on my account

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Debit cards get the money held (pending charge) or withdrawn immediately.

Credit cards get a pre-authorization charge to ensure there is enough credit limit to sustain the charge, then the card is charged upon shipment.

12. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

glad this helped some of you. i wasn't expecting to be charged right away but i'm thankful that i was because i haven't gotten a confirmation email, this is enough confirmation for me

13. bleighv macrumors regular

bleighv

Ditto

Unless they did it while I was sleeping and I didn't see it get authorized and then put back.

14. oldschooldude macrumors regular

FWIW - I ordered thru Apple and my card has not been charged as of this time.