Just sold iPhone 4...May have made a mistake plz help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvoNiner1986, Sep 28, 2011.

1. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

In anticipation for the next iteration of the iPhone I just sold my i4. I connected it to iTunes, backed it up then I hit the "restore" button after I removed my SIM card.

The whole process took about 10 minutes. Once the restore was done, the phone displayed that it needed to be activated....

This is the part I'm worried I may have messed up...Rather than doing anything else, I just unplugged the phone from my computer and gave it to the new buyer.

Was I supposed to "set up as new" though before I gave it to the buyer, or did I do everything correctly?

I'm just worried becuase I want to make sure all of my info was successfully erased, and given the fact that I didn't proceed with any other steps, that all my info is now off that device.

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate any help.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You did everything correct.

When the new owner pops in his SIM card, they will then plug it into iTunes and finish the activation + setup process.

3. spiralynth macrumors regular

You're fine.

The other thing you could have done is gone to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, after the back-up and before the restore.

4. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for both you guys' help...The primary reason I ended up going the computer route was simply because I initially tried doing it within the settings by going Settings>General>Erase all content and settings. For some unknown reason though it took over an hour and I became suspicious so I put it into DFU and came to realize that it didn't erase anything! :eek:

At that point I went to my laptop, plugged it in, and did the restore through iTunes. (Which was a very FAST and painless process).

I have no clue why it didn't do it from within the settings app on my iPhone. It just displayed a spinning circle on a black screen for well over an hour.

5. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

If it's jailbroken, then it probably get stuck.

You did it correctly, as long as the new buyer didn't asking for untethered jailbreak nor unlock.

Congrats! ;)

6. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Hit the nail on the head...My phone WAS jailbroken :)

I wasn't aware that the jailbreak would make it get stuck like that! :eek: I'm just happy I had my laptop to connect it to iTunes and do it that way...I just feel bad becuase the poor buyer sat in his car and waited over an HOUR for something that could of been done in 10 minutes had I initially done it through iTunes LMAO!!!! :D

Either way I'm happy...And now the wait begins for the next iPhone :apple:

7. Russiaone macrumors 6502

How much did you sell yours for, Evo, if you don't mind me asking? I'm gonna sell mine AFTER I buy the next iteration.

8. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I sold my white 16GB for $350, 2 hairline scratches on the screen within 24 hours of posting to CL. Many offers. This was 2 days ago.

9. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

That is far too cheap. You could have sold it for a lot more.

10. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

What is a reasonable price for a 2 month old white 16gb iphone 4?
    Mint with no damage or scratches?

And do they usually drop a lot after a new release?

11. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

I thought you were gonna say you sold it for 50 bucks or something. No, you're good from the sounds of things.

12. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

I sold it for $350...Came with box, charger, new earphones as well as a Case Mate case and Incipio case. Screen protector on the front with not a single scratch on the phone :D

LOL...Would NEVER let it go that low haha :cool: