Just sold Iphone on Ebay-shipping?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdmac, Jun 17, 2009.

1. sdmac macrumors member

I had my auction listed which clearly stated "will not ship international".

Winning bidder is from Asia.

What is the best way to ship this and how do I make sure I am covered with the payment? If they pay thru paypal, am I covered?

I can just see this going bad and me being out of a phone.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ship with tracking and insurance!

If you don't, they can claim they never received it. That's pretty much it.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Can't you set your preferences to block bids from international bidders?

I would add the buyer to your blocked bidder list and then list the item again and ask for a refund of the fees from Ebay.

A lot of trouble I know but could be worth it.

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

uhhh dont ship it to him give it the next highest bidder.. since your atuction said "will not ship international"

5. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Just had a buyer from Italy - shipping was over $100. I canceled.

Since you clearly stated no international shipping, you can cancel the transaction or you can bill them for shipping and use insurance/delivery confirmation.

6. tvp macrumors member

If they pay with paypal only ship to the confirmed address or you will not be covered. If they say it's a gift too bad, only ship to the confirmed address. I got screwed over that way once and had to deal with chargebacks, etc. It was a huge pain that could have been easily avoided.

7. SqB macrumors 6502

+1

Be sure to check your auction preferences to make sure that international shipping is turned off. If it is, it won't even let international bidders bid on your auctions. If they bid with a US address and then tell you to ship somewhere else, it's almost certainly a scam.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can set the auction up to prevent people bidding from overseas but it's a bit hidden away.
    Personally, I'd run a mile from anyone wanting an item shipped out of the country: It's simply too risky. The next thing you know they'll be wanting to pay you Western Union Transfer...
    Also, if you get a PayPal confirmation that says you have to provide a tracking number before the funds are released, run for the hills - it's a scam...

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Be very, very careful.

If there is credible communication from the purchaser, full payment, and you can ship to a confirmed address with tracking and signed for delivery, think about sending it.

Otherwise start again.

10. sdmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input.

I looked at the second, third, fourth highest bidders and they are all overseas???

Bummer, but I think I will contact ebay and get a refund on the auction and start over. Just need to figure out how to block international bidders.

11. JohnFa macrumors regular

Why should he not send it to someone outside his country? I live in Sweden and I've never understood why people from, for example, the US refuse to ship to other countries.

12. soonerfan macrumors member

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's nothing personal, but if something goes wrong you have less recourse.

14. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

yeah if something goes wrong its ten times harder to prove your case if its overseas ... sooo screw that

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No.
    I shipped my 2G from Oklahoma to Ireland last year for about $35.

USPS lists a 1 pound box to Italy at $26.50. Where are you getting your numbers from?

16. JohnFa macrumors regular

Just check how much positive feedback the person has and you know if he's a good person or not.

Some items I've bought I've mailed the seller and asked if he could ship to Sweden. I always pay the extra shipping of course.

17. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

You obviously didn't want to ship international, so don't. You're in the clear to do so in this case.

18. SqB macrumors 6502

I agree. Long ago, before eBay and PayPal were so popular, I used to ship overseas all the time. Unfortunately now that it has become popular, it's also home to far too many scams and tricks. I really don't like being so nationalistic in my sales, but I am just an individual and can't afford to lose the money on the sales.

I do understand that now PayPal does have some countries with "Confirmed addresses" so once that's all set up with eBay, I'd be happy to send to those as well. However, it's also a pain to fill out all the extra paperwork to ship overseas. It's also much more difficult to calculate shipping so I would probably do what I used to do which is to add some additional handling charges to overseas shipments.

19. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Don't touch international with a ten foot pole, especially if you stated no international. I shipped to Germany once and the guy never told me to put "gift" on the box so he had to pay some international tax on it. Of course he was pissed at me, but I had no clue so it wasn't my fault. Just too many headaches to deal with. If it was Canada I might say yes, otherwise no.

20. soonerfan macrumors member

This happened to me when I sold to someone from Canada. I didn't know about the 'gift' thing and he had to pay extra. He reamed me a new one! Since then, I have not done international. Not to mention all the folks who contact you...saying to end the auction early and they will pay WAY more than it was going for IF you would ship to....NIGERIA!!!! UGH! :rolleyes: Dumbasses.

21. JohnFa macrumors regular

22. soonerfan macrumors member

Ya think?! ;):p

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

My iPhone is currently on eBay, and I have no problem shipping internationally (for an additional shipping price of course). Like I said, I sold my iPhone to Ireland this time last year and didn't have any problems with it. As long as the buyer pays you on PayPal and you get tracking/insurance on the package, you don't really have anything to worry about.

As a poster just above me noted, it's also best to claim the item as a gift, because the recipient will have to pay customs taxes on it, and that usually reduces them.

24. sdmac thread starter macrumors member

Well I guess I am partly to blame on this one. After I listed it I noticed that it had "Worldwide" shipping as an option listed on my auction. Within 30 minutes of the auction, I edited the description to say " I made a mistake on my initial listing and that I would not ship international". I should have just canceled the auction and started over.