just sold jailbroken and unlocked 3GS on ebay...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Jul 5, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

As the title states, I just sold my unlocked and jailbroken 3GS on ebay (jb to 4.0 using pwnage and baseband is at 4.26.08). I also installed the latest ultrasn0w and I'm wondering if the person who bought it will be able to just pop in his t-mobile sim card and start using the phone right away. I know that when you use pwnage to create your custom ipsw there's an "activate the phone" option which I did not check since I'm with AT&T; however, should I have checked that anyway just in case the person I sold my phone to is not with AT&T? Does that even matter? If so, should I just re-jb with pwnage and select the activate phone option? Also, I don't have a sim that will work in that phone anymore so I don't know if that's going to be a problem if I have to re-jb.

I want to send this phone out to him tomorrow so hopefully someone can help me out with this sooner rather than later. Thank you!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, if you don't have an official sim to activate, you need to " hacktivate" the IPSW

3. RedCloud75013 macrumors member

nop - you should not have to check the 'activate' option. I was in a similar situation (same phone, baseband) and the unlock worked just fine. I'd still make sure that Tmobile works on your phone: try to get a sim from a friend a Tmobile and stick it in the phone to see if the unlock is functionnal.

4. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

The buyer is on t-mobile - he just told me that. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on t-mobile so I can't get a sim card to try it out.

dhlizard: If I go through the process of creating a custom ipsw again and select the activate option, will that be good enough? I can put my sim card in even though it isn't good anymore just so I don't get the "no sim" message. As long as I do that and make sure that ultrasn0w is installed afterwards, he should be able to just pop in his t-mobile sim, right?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

go to a tmobile store! tell them you are thinking of switching and you unlocked but you need to double check! there pretty cool there! btw there are a million I sold my phone on ebay now what threads! you can get tone of advice from them!

oh out of curiosity what you get for it and how many GB!

7. chrisesposito macrumors member

I just sold a 32GB 3GS for $450, and a 16GB 3GS for $350; both jb and unlocked.

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

You did better than me. I got $400 for my jb and unlocked 32GB 3GS and I sold it with AppleCare a couple of cases and some PS screen protectors. I'm still pretty happy though since it paid for my iphone 4.

Do you mind saying where you sold them (ebay, CL, etc.)? I had absolutely no luck with craiglists at all. Had one jerkoff who kept emailing me asking me to click on a link and one other guy who said that he was in the army and deployed and wanted to buy the phone for his daughter (offered me $60 over my asking price too). Obviously a scam (the moron was even emailing me from his iphone) so I basically told him to f#$% off.

9. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I got 450 on ebay for my 32gb 3GS and 450 for my white 16gb 3GS. One went to Italy and the other went to Indonesia.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, thats some decent prices you guys are getting on ebay.
    I have my 16GB black 3GS on ebay unlocked and JB on 4.0 too.
    Hope in 3 days I get around that much also. Im only shipping to US customers though, no internationals.

11. chrisesposito macrumors member

eBay for both. While this obviously doesn't apply to the Applecare on your phone, it's been my experience that the bundling of additional accessories along with a "main" item like you did above rarely produces much in the way of additional revenue; I've almost always made more by unbundling and selling everything separately, even after taking into account effect that extra shipping chsrges have to get paid for by somebody.

12. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I only ship to US customers too. You might get more if you ship internationally but I personally don't think it's worth the risk and the hassle.

You're probably right about the accessories. I just figured that it was easier to get rid of everything in one auction. I really don't know how much a couple of used cases would fetch either and the screen protectors were already opened (well the packaging was anyway since I used one screen protector from each package - the screen protectors themselves were unused). Maybe I'll try doing everything separately next time though.

13. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I just sold my iPhone 3GS 16gb with 3 accessories for 267.00. should I go head and sell it at this price or should I relist?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Up to you.
    I just sold my 16GB 3GS unlocked and JB on 4.0 for $375.
    Mind condition though with box and every original item included.

15. samven582 macrumors 6502a

how do I jailbreak and unlock my phone?

16. pacdamac9 macrumors member

uh... i cant believed you asked that question... prepare to get flamed!!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're already updated to official 4.0 you cant right now.
    Im assuming you never JB it before and you dont have SHSH's on file to downgrade the firmware.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If the item already sold, how can u relist it? Unless u lie about it being stolen or damaged.

19. Riley2323 macrumors member

I sold my 3GS 32GB Unlocked for $462 on the 2nd of July. I did 5 days eBay and it ended in the afternoon east coast time. I think 5 day was key....probably ending in the afternoon is key too....people can watch at work.

I did not check the activate button, and I was unsure if the unlock from
    sn0wbreeze was working so I bought a T-mobile prepaid for $20 and peace of mind. Registered the sim and popped it in the iPhone and it worked right away.

From what I am hearing 3G Tmobile does not work on the iPhone....is this correct? An if so why would anyone want to buy the iPhone then?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's correct.
    No 3G on Tmobile USA with any iPhone model.
    You can only use edge or wifi.

21. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I upgraded my 3G to the official iOS 4 when it was released and was able to jb and unlock (tested with t-mobile) using redsn0w from the dev team site. Was something about it not fully unlocked/jb? I got ultrasn0w off of cydia and tested with a t-mo sim card.

also, that was the first time I jailbroke the iphone

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You have a 3G, not a 3GS. Completely different model, completely different jailbreaking rules. A 3G can be jailbroken on 4.0 using Redsn0w; a 3GS cannot. Little things like phone model can be important when talking about jailbreaking.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly what thelatinist said.
    I was responding to a question about a 3GS model.
    It's a different ballgame than 3G or 2G iPhones.

24. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Gotcha. Thanks guys! Just didn't want to advertise a 3g jailbroken/unlocked phone for sale on craigslist if it wasn't 100% legit.

25. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I will refuse to sell it