Just sold my air will switch to umb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zsnow, Jun 2, 2009.

1. zsnow macrumors regular

Just sold my 2 month air. As I bought the air only cause it's screen is better
    Now with the new screen, it's time to go
    Just 1 question is 2.0 keyboard same quality as 2.4, I cant believe apple removed backlit from 2.0. But I'm just wondering other than that is everything else the same? Like feeling, material, size....
    I will upgrade the mem and ssd so I don't care the hd. I want it runs cooler so slower CPU is better(am I right? 2.4 is hotter?). I always turn the backlit lowest , so it doesn't matter with or without it. But I do care the quality of the keyboard.
    if the 2.4 keyboard is better or CPU is same hot as 2.0. I will go 2.4
    Hope someone could answer that

2. fk51785 macrumors regular

I also sold my MBA and bought an MB when the new MB were introduced last year.

2.0 & 2.4 keyboards are same except 2.4 are backlit.

You should upgrade your ram to 4GB, I just upgraded mine to play Sims 3, and runs great.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Same keyboard, and virtually the same heat output. Both the 2.0 and the 2.4 are 25W max chips. On top of that, the 2.4 won't have to devote as much of it's processing capacity to do the same task as the 2.0.

4. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers.
    Just have one question : do you guys see any common issue on your umb? Like air has over heat, noise fan, loose hinge...
    Thanks

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not a single issue with mine, aside from a couple tilted Function keys. I bought it on launch day though :eek:

The screen could be better, but oh well...for what I use it for, it's plenty fine.

6. dextermorgan macrumors member

I, as well as several others, have had to have the fan replaced. Other than that no problems.

7. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I just did this within the last day. It was nice to pocket the extra cash, but the monitor is still only about 90% of the MBA's.

If your good with that, its awesome!

I dropped 4GB of ram & OCZ Vertex SSD inside of mine. I am enjoying the speakers of all things the most.

8. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

All I heard is the new screen is same quality as air and pro
    What is your panel #?
    Thanks

9. iomatic macrumors regular

Add me to the list of dumping the MBA. Definitely great for travel, but another lb.+1/2 won't be too bad. Having had various PowerBooks (from the 500 series, mind you!) and MacBook Pros though, I do NOT miss the awkward size for travel. Having an external monitor at my desk nullifies any gains with the screen size of the larger MacBook Pros (though those graphics cards are quite yummy > MBA/MB's graphics).

10. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Its a 9CA5. The colors still do not pop as much as the MBA. However, I did get the UBMB when it launched to replace my MBA Rev. A. I had to return the MB because of the horrible screen. The new MB screen is indeed far better now and I am happy with the small compromises.

Who knows, maybe its the glass muting the picture. I just thought it would do the opposite. I have calibrated the display and have found one that I like.

I have to say this, the MBA Rev. B is one hell of a machine. I enjoyed it completely and really have nothing bad to say about it. (Except for the Display Port/Audio Issue)

I have waited, and waited for a new 12" MBP/MB, but I think this is now what were going to have to accept. Lets see what WWDC has, if anything, to offer as far as updates go.

11. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

Only one issue....

The UMB is so cool, everyone stops and asks me if it is an Air....

I love mankind, its people I can't stand. :)

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sadly I have to be added to the list as well. My Rev B is being sold right now in favor for a Unibody Macbook 2.4. I bought the 2.4 when it came out last year and hated the screen which pushed me to the Air cuz I didn't want a MBP. I loved my Air but it's too limited for me even though my work has a lot of travel involved and the lightweight feel of the Air is perfect for my work it's just too limited.
    I hate the 2GB wired ram with no option for upgrade. I hate the (1) USB port and it has troubles playing back HD flash videos as well.

13. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Ditto

I'm dumping my Air as well in favor the MB. The only thing holding me back so far was the screen. My only concern though is when to buy it to guarantee I'll get one of the newer screens. I think I'll wait a while so the Back To School promo helps clear out any old ones that may be sitting at my local Apple store. I checked there and they have some on display with the old screen and some with the new. When I asked the guy there about it, he said they're the same and Apple hasn't changed the screen. I figure they don't know any better so I'd better wait a while to make sure I get a new one.

14. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Heres what I found out on that one. The Apple stores returned their old stock and were refreshed with all new stock. I don't know about other retailers (MacMall,Amazon,BestBuy) but I am told that all Apple stores have new stock. (My box had a tiny green dot on it)

15. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

Just let you know I just got a new uMB today.
    At first the lady bring me a 13 week one, after my explanation, she kindly exchange me to another 18 week (which is somewhere in May i guess). Maybe not a big difference, i just want to make sure the screen got upgrade. She was surprised and said there should be no difference at all, well customer first. :)

Anyway i bring it home and opened it, check the color profile. it's a 9CA8. I don't know if there is any better one. But this screen is much better compare with other demo machines in terms of view angle.

So here is some comments about my upgrade from mba
    1:Screen is better but still not 100% the same quality as my previously mba. around 90% i would say. the brightness is lower i feel. i have to make the brightness to 65% compare with 50% on my mba. I think this is the most important reason to switch over.

2:Weight is 600g more , but i don't care. As it's still quite portable for 2.0Kg. Plus with mba you have to count the superdrive in.
    two USB! yes! don't have to switch usb all the time.
    3: Heating!!! yes! I feel overall umb has much better cooling system compare with mba as the case make a lot difference.
    4:upgradable. i can upgrade with 4GB mem and also lots of ssd are 2.5' size.

conclusion: with the new screen, i really can't find any reason not to have it.

I'm still try to use to the new trackpad. the click sound is much louder.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

17. youssefm macrumors 6502

Haha, I did the same.. im surprised to see it runs so great =D

and to the op.. you're lucky, i was trying to sell my mb for a mba.. but i guess you gotta love what you got haha

18. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Cool! Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be heading to my Apple store this weekend (although I may wait until WWDC just in case)

19. mrrippey macrumors regular

struggling between Air and uMB

I need a primary laptop, will travel with it everyday to work, give presentations and such. Will need to run VMWare/Parallels as I use Sharepoint alot at work.

Air is super portable, uMB is more expandable and cheaper. I am now leaning toward the uMB since I can upgrade it to 4GB so no worries on the VMWare running and I can add a SSD for even more speed for same $$ as a Air. Screen is not a factor, both will be connecting to an external monitor.

i really do like the Air but with only $1200 to spend now, I cant even get a base Air but I can get a nice uMB 2.4....

20. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

with $1200, you can get refurb revA mba. it's brand new actually at least looks.
    if portable is most important for you.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

How do I tell what week a MB is? It's from the serial number somehow, right?

22. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

yes. it's the serial number

23. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered 4G memory and 128G ssd. should receive next week.

24. mrrippey macrumors regular

power is a bit more important than portability. I need VMware to work very well and I would like portability.