Just sold my DSLR...did i make the right move?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Misskitty, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

One of my goals over the NY was the cut back on buying stuff i dont need or make full use of. Last NY (2012) my goal was to get into photography. I knew nothing about it. Well i started teaching myself, joined some free clubs, went to a few meets but that quickly ended. I found by March my sony DSLR was collecting dust on the shelf. I never used it from march til sept when i took it out to a wedding. During this time of not using it, i kept saying how i was going to take the camera with me to places but constantly i would not do it and i lost interest in these groups that i stopped going to them. I took the cam with me to a few places by myself (cause i dont know anyone into photography) but i got bored and it didnt burn a ball of excitement in me. When i uses it i just didnt feel the burning excitment one should have. It didnt feel natural, it felt forced in me trying to make myself get into it.

The camera has been sitting since sept...not even once touched it so i figured id try to sell it but only if i could get a good return as i spent almost $600 on it. It took a good couple months to get a serious buyer but i got one last night willing to pay my price of $500 firm and we met today and made the deal.

In a way im glad im unloading such an expensive toy that jist sat on my shelf (and also consider myself lucky to get this good of a return back as cameras resale value drop like flies). But also im a bit sad to see it go cause it was such a nice camera. I kinda still do have a bit of excitment for photography but i know its nothing like what my true interests are that bring a smile to my face just thinking about it.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Honestly, I think you made the right decision. If you still have an interest in photography, but don't want to have a lot of money invested into it, I'd suggest getting a more economical camera. Perhaps a bridge camera? Bridge cameras are essentially a hybrid of a point and shoot with dLSR controls.

3. Misskitty, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually if i picked up another cam it would be a mirrorless one simply cause it has an APSC size sensor (same on dslrs) but are dumbed down as far as what to learn and what you can do. And i wouldnt spend anything close to $600. But for now im not gonna get anything and see how i do without a cam.

When i got the dsrl, i thought i was willing to invest serious time to learn all about photography and explore and experiement and get good at it. I thought i was going to be taking it with me everywhere. But turns out that wasnt the case. I did at first but over time, i just couldnt mustard up the excitment and ambition to drop the time or commitment into. And that goes back to me having other hobbies that im much more into and rather spend my time and money on. Unfortunately...ill admit one of them is video games.

That was the reason why i wanted to try to get into photography, was to counteract how much time and money i spend on video games while getting me out more. Unfortuately it didnt pan out like i had hoped. When i had the choice...I still opt for playing my video games over taking the cam out.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you couldn't bother to use the DSLR, there's no point in thinking about another camera.

People think they need a high end camera to save all their memories these days. It's ridiculous. Use your smartphone. It's not like those one use cameras we used to use back in the day made better prints.

I got a newer camera a few years ago and have probably used it less than 10 times. I thought I was going to use all the knowledge I gained from taking over a decade of photography. Nope.

5. Micky Do, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Yes, you did the right thing to quit a bulky camera you never used.

If you are going to get another camera, I would suggest getting some cheap, simple little point and shoot. Something that you can carry around easily.

My first digital camera was an Olympus Tough TG310, that can take a knock, and a dip under water. I got it at a clearance sale for about $US 100, just before the newer TG320 came on the market. With that I discovered what I want to take pictures of, and how digital photography works. I also learned what I wanted from my next camera, and landed up getting a Fujifilm X10. I use it when I want to "take photos" but I still often pocket the TG310 to catch the odd snap, and to go places the X10 cannot.

The X10 has its limitations, and one day I might go for a DSLR with 70 - 200 mm zoom lens. Meanwhile I have learned to live with the limitations, and make the most of what I have. Many of my photos of sports events have been used in the local press, and club reports….. And these days I do get requests to bring my camera to events.

Photography is not about having this camera or that to take pictures. It is about making the most of what you have, to capture a moment or a scene. But even that is just the start. It is also about choosing which shots to keep and process, to show things as you saw them.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I've been trying to sell my second dslr and nobody wants it :(

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sounds like the right move. I'd recommend for anyone that wants DSLR abilities but not sure if they'll get much use out of it is to start out with a used one. You can find great 8+ megapixel units for less $150 to $200. Sure you can find higher mp compact cameras. But the superior lense and large CCD will produce cleaner images.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are not serious about photography there is no reason to own a DSLR. I think people get them as status symbols.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I bought mine because I was fed up of taking photos with my iPhone or crappy compact that would turn out rubbish. Now I've had my DSLR for 6 months and loving it. If I don't get out at the weekend it makes me sad.
    If the OP has no desire to get out and take pictures there is no point forcing it. Look for a different hobby you enjoy.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A couple of years ago, you only had the choice of Point and Shoots and DSLR. Nothing realign in-between. Now with a more robust middle tier, the consumer and prosumer have options. I had a Nikon D70s because my options were limited with P&S or a DSLR.

I'm on the Micro 4/3 platform which offers better performance, and image quality over P&S, a lower price and a smaller camera. Overall, I get to enjoy my hobby with a camera that better suits my needs

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I use a 4/3 kit, bigger than the micro but still smaller than a full frame. Takes great picks for half the weight.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I actually have to bodies, an OMD EM5 for most of my needs, it has that retro body which is classic but also some very nice features.

For those occasions where I want a smaller body, I have the Pen E-PM2 which is a fantastic camera, takes the same lenses though I usually slap on the 20mm prime on that which decreases the size considerably.

I'd recommend something like that to the OP, its a relatively inexpensive camera, allows different lenses if you want but you're not sunk into an expensive and bulky camera for thousands of dollars.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think you made the right move, OP.