just sold my imac 2013

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rick snagwell, May 27, 2015.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

just sold my 2013 21.5 imac on CL.

i reformatted to yosemite and sold like that. the buyer emailed me back stating he is missing iphoto/garageband etc...

can he get these or do i have to have him come back and load up ilife '11 for him?

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

I don't think those apps are part of the restore and they are not part of the OS. I think when you buy a Mac new and associate that Mac with your user ID then those apps are yours (downloadable from App store). If the purchaser has never had an ID associated with those apps, she will have to buy them unless you are nice enough to install them. If you install them you are probably violating some license somewhere along the way, even though the apps were on there before you wiped the drive. Apple just makes things more complicated by treating their "free" apps this way. It is probably a way of them making used hardware less appealing.

3. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Do you know if he is upgrading from another Mac? If he uses the Migration Assistant, he should be able to transfer the apps from his old Mac. (Hopefully.)