Just sold my iPhone on eBay but....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolant113, Jun 21, 2009.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Ok so here's the deal I just sold my iPhone 3g on eBay for 275.00 yea prolly could of gotten a little more but whatever.. Soo thiis guy from ittaly bought it and told me to ship it to Washington dc because one of his friends are gimme bring it bak to Italy for him. Is this a scam? Also how can I make sire I am protected in this transaction?? Thanks:apple::apple:

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

ONLY use Paypal and ONLY ship to confirmed addresses

honestly, everyone from overseas who has done "buy it now", never paid and was a scam

always have to relist and contact ebay to get my final value fee credited back, very annoying

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Did you get payed? If the money is in your hand then it should not matter.
    Don't give up the phone till you have the money.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Did the buyer pay via PayPal?

If so, what is the confirmed address?

If he paid via PayPal, you are only protected if you ship to the confirmed address that PayPal tells you to ship to. If that address sin't in DC, then you need to tell the buyer that he's gotta get his iPhone shipped to wherever the account address is.

5. hellrider macrumors regular

probably a stolen Italian account and the guy actually lives in DC.

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed.

I would never sell over-seas

No offense to the brits but the Nigerians ruin it for everyone else

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Safe ebay transactions start with the terms you establish BEFORE you list the item.

Even PayPal has changed some of their policies regarding the release of funds.

So - more detail is needed about the terms you set up:

PayPal?
    Confirmed Address Shipping only?
    etc......

8. alangrehan macrumors regular

Paypal confirmed address only!!!

I've been stung before :eek:

9. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

No confirmed paypal address

No laundry.

Scammers are consistent. And paypal will even come back three months later for the fraudulent funds you were paid with although you did nothing wrong. So ship it into the black hole and then watch for the paypal email down the line saying you owe this money.

I'm still getting emails from fraudsters on Craigslist offering to buy my iPhone. They are asking for paypal id to send the money or address to send the money. One guy I asked for his confirmed address via paypal. He ignored it.
    Send me an email the next day asking which paypal to send the money.

They are quite eager to pay with stolen funds (usually a stolen credit card).

They know they will get the goods and you will get hit with the bill. Out of a dozen contacts, three were definitely fraud people. One was not too stupid, first tried to get the "relationship" going with emails, then wanted the iPhone shipped.

On Craigslist, that's the kiss of death. On ebay it's the fraudster's friend.
    Good luck.

Just ask the guy for the confirmed paypal address and watch the deal crumble faster than when the Titanic hit an iceberg.

10. pokute macrumors newbie

how do you sell on craigslist if you don't give them the paypal id just curious. Craigslists feels so dangerous compared to selling on ebay/paypal

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The point of craigslist is to sell in person to someone in your area. You should meet with them in a public location to exchange goods and money. Only take cash.

12. gzillaration macrumors member

i sold mine and got a 21 day hold period on the money

he had a confirmed shipping addresss and seller protection was eligible

i called paypal, they said to ship, and if he even used a stolen credit card i would still get the money under their new seller protection policy.

ive been screwed before, but theyve changed their policy so im not worried about it anymore

13. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I once sold an ASUS battery to a Dutch guy who had a friend he wanted me to ship it to in Portland. Since the cost was very low (less than $40), I did it anyway. Besides he had already paid me. And I trust the Dutch. :D

14. gzillaration macrumors member

Paypal told me to never ship to a different country. But thats good it worked for you.