Just sold my mac pro to save $$ now thinking about exchanging mbp for mb..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The macbook fits into what I can do since I dont need the gpu.. the macbooks are excellent buys because it has the same CPU/RAM/HDD. I have 4gb of RAM + hitachi travelstar 7k200 that I can put into the macbook and connect it to the 23" ACD for most of the time that I use it for and portability when I need it... but the only things that is keeping me away from the macbooks are:

1) LED backlit screens
    2) Firewire 800

Those are the ONLY reasons... LED backlighting is what I've been used to with my macbook pro + the firewire 800 connected to my 1TB external hdd is very fast about 2x faster transfer speed than the fw400...

Maybe the next revision of the macbooks will have all these??

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

3. mosx macrumors 65816

Well, the LED Backlit MBP screens are only slightly brighter than the MacBook in some instances. It really does not make THAT much of a difference.

Also, theres no way that Firewire 800 connection and the external HDD are communicating at the full 100MB/sec the bus is capable of. You're probably getting about half of that.

You should connect the drive to a 400 port (and even USB 2.0 if possible) and see what the real world speed difference is.

The MacBooks are all around better units than the MBP, IMO. I'd definitely take a MacBook over the Pro if given the opportunity. Oh wait, I already did ;)

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

LED screens seem pretty likely for the next revision, but I rather doubt we'll see FW800 on the MB - it's deemed more of a 'Pro' feature, I suspect.

I'll confess that I went for the MBP (I have a high-res 17"), but my ONLY reason for that was screen size - I use the machine as a desktop replacement, running Photoshop, Indesign, Dreamweaver etc, all of which are real hogs of screen real estate.

Overall I agree that the MB is more than adequate for the vast majority of purposes - unless you want to play games - and would have been my choice if I had been planning to use my laptop plugged into an external screen most of the time. They're superb little machines.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Well my brother has a macbook and he had it for about 8-9 months now.. and on his macbook looks sooo dimm now compared to the 1 year old SR mbp that I had.. after 1 year the SR mbp still looks the same brightness as the first day I turned it on and especially just waking up the display its instant 100% brightness.. plus it looks so much more vivid and clearer and my brothers macbook's white looks like custard yellow compared to the SR mbp that looks pure white..

Also I've tested on moving 10.78 GB file using fw400 against fw800. Fw800 took 3 minutes to move a 10.78 GB file while Fw400 took 6.2 minutes. Pretty much fw 800 is 2x faster especially in real world usages.

This is why I want the next macbook to have LED and a fw800... I know the LED is coming for sure but I'm crossing my fingers for fw800..

6. rjp macrumors regular

Mbp 318 C/m^2, Mb 185.

I have both the current MBP and the previous gen MB and have calibrated and measured both.

MBP screen max measured output is 318 C/M^2 and MB is 185.

Also, MBP max contrast ratio is 659:1 and MB is only 206:1

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

That makes sense. This is why I told myself I'm never going to buy another notebook without led backlighting.. I even got a hp 2710p tablet pc for an even exchange for my unlocked iphone (this was earlier when only the geohot method of the iphone unlocked could be done.. I actually did it). Someone wanted it so at that time he traded me up my unlocked iphone straight up for his brand new hp 2710p tablet pc which was $2299 at the time!! Anyways even the hp 2710p tablet pc had an led backlighting on it and looks superior to the macbooks... I eventually sold it on ebay for a good price and pocketed the money =D and bought another iphone when the price dropped and did the software unlock hehe! =D

I do love the current macbooks right now with the core 2 duo cpu/4gb ram/easy hdd swap, but I guess just the led is missing for me to downgrade from my mbp.. fw400 isnt SO bad and I could live with transferring big files 2x slower.. But then if I use the macbook in closed clamshell mode most of the time with my 23" ACD then I would rather just get a mac mini..

Actually if the mac mini had fw800 + ability to address 4gb of ram I'd grab one with the quickness..I'm heavily thinking about returning my 2.5Ghz mbp and take the restock fee hit and just grab a mac mini the lowest version and use that until June/July for the montevina mbp... what do you guys think?