just sold my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightning inc., Mar 29, 2012.

1. lightning inc. macrumors regular

I bought my Macbook pro in May11' 13" low end (early 11' upgrade) in 980$ after buying it in 1100$ (student discount). it had few problems with its battery and trackpad, so I figured I better sell it.
    What should I do now? buy the latest one? wait (how long approximately?) 'till the new one comes out?
    Do you think I was right selling my MBP?

*with the new mac i'm planing on upgrading it with SSD and 8GB of RAM.

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Good time for you to sell with some warranty still left on the MBP.

New 13" MBP could be coming out as late as June/July. We can only speculate at this time.

Not going to go to 16GB (2x8GB) RAM for a little extra?

3. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

oh so maybe I should wait... the problem is, now i'm on windows:( now thats a huge downgrade.

If the added 8 GB are chip I will go on the 16 instead.

Thank you! :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We really don't when apple will release the MBP, but it front page of MR indicates that the 13" MBP may not be ready until June/July. The 15" MBP perhaps sooner

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could've just used the warranty and save yourself the hassle of selling?

6. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

(June is far away:( )

I went to apple store and gave them my MBP, but they said the battery is alright and they did MRI scan to the trackpad and find nothing... but I could swear there is something wrong with it.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The battery was probably just fine. 99% of them are. Battery life is inversely proportional to the use you put through your computer, the less power you use the longer it lasts. The claimed 7 hour is basically a completely idle computer(half screen brightness, no time machine, nothing plugged into it, bluetooth off, wi-fi on, refreshing a page once a minute that contains no flash, and having a word document on). Add even one more program, raise screen brightness, start using web pages that contain flash animations, and your battery life drops a good hour or two, instantly.

If they couldn't find anything with the trackpad, there most likely was nothing wrong with it.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what gave you the impression something was wrong with the battery and trackpad, you might just of had higer expectations because if both were indeed working you might be disapppointed with your next mac also

9. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

the trackpad missed lots of clicks and didn't responds as well as it did when I first bought my mac.
    the battery was fully charged at 95 percent but if you unplug the computer for couple of hours and then plug it again, it will charge 100% and then slowly decrease. (so in the lab they saw 100% and didn't know what i'm talking about)
    and it lasts for 4-4.5 hours.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4.5 is good, those 7 hours claims are 7 hours of low brightness no bluetooth and the mac just sitting there every click every web page loaded, every cursor movement, makes that 7 hours into 4.5 real fast

11. njean777 macrumors 6502

To be honest from everything you are saying the Mac was just fine, I cannot say anything about the trackpad, but the battery life sounds normal to me.

12. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

so maybe i'm just paranoid. hmmm but losing 120 bucks in 10~ months sounds good enough in order to be sure 100%.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's normal behaviour. Once charged to 100%, a laptop battery(any laptop, not just Macs) will trickle discharge down to 95%, and trickle recharge to 100%. This is perfectly normal, it is simply the battery trying to keep it's juices flowing when plugged in for extended periods of time, and to prevent overcharging. 4 to 4.5 hours in normal use is about right for a MBP. Your battery was indeed perfectly normal.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

So you sold a possibly defective MBP to someone? Did you let them know about the problems?

15. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

I can proudly say YES. the man is from a different country (Israel) and new MBP costs like 1850$.
    I even showed him the apple store's lab summery that said that everything is okay but I still think something is wrong.

16. elmo151 Guest

good timing. the new ones appear to be coming soon

17. shootist macrumors regular

And why is that a huge downgrade. Does the Windows box you are now using run OK?
    Do you have any problems with the battery or the touchpad, other then it is not a Mac touchpad?

It is a computer. Does it use the programs that you need to use to get whatever work and or play done on it?

That comment is just foolish.