Just sold SG Sports Watch, ordered SS model

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KOTULCN, May 11, 2015.

1. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

After a week with my 42mm Space Grey black sports watch I decided to upgrade. I sold it on CL for $550 and ordered the stainless steel 42mm with black sports band. July ship date, FML.

2. michael1019 macrumors member

After a weekend of travel I decided to take my trash out. FML.

Why does this require a thread? Maybe you could describe why you wanted to go with a stainless steel watch...perhaps that would help people who may have been in a similar situation weigh the pros and cons of both. Instead you seem to just be upset that you have to wait for another watch while a ton of people on this forum, including me, are still waiting for their stainless steel watches.

3. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

I paid $100 above list price to get my 42mm on Craigslist. **** waiting.

4. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

It came down to the possibility of screen getting scratched. I was able to sell the model I had for more than I paid for it. I didn't realize how much I bang my wrist on things, for example putting seatbelt on.

5. Randizzledante macrumors regular

This thread isn't just dull...it's pointless! :D

*Ba-dum, psch*

Just kidding, good luck with your new watch and all that.

6. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

The cost involved in AppleCare+ and either a screen shield/case or both is close to just getting a stainless version. The amount of rustled jimmies around here is high, lol.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

8. michael1019 macrumors member

No one needs a case for a watch. Its a watch.

A watch.

No one needs a sapphire crystal 'protector'.

Its a watch.

I like my car and everything, but I'm not going to put it in an otterbox. Reminds me of someone who buys a Porsche and wraps it in a hummer to take it out for a spin.

But since no one does that...

9. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

that makes no sense, and not even close... you aren't planning on getting the applecare+ for the SS version? it's more expensive than the AL version. Glad you made some money though.

10. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

agreed.

11. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

My cc doubles manufacturers warranty, not worried about bezel getting scratched.

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Do people get Apple care when they buy rolexes?

13. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure there is a mechanical warranty.

14. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Imagine someone wearing a Rolex with a case on it, laughable

Cases shouldn't even exist for this, but all these case makers just taking advantage of these first time watch buyers

15. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Cool?

16. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

The watch was nice but the lack of an OEM color matched adapter for different bands was also a factor.

17. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

Agreed as well!

18. michael1019 macrumors member

Good point. Case manufacturers will sell cases to anyone with an electronic device that leaves your house.

Anyone have a case on their Mac mini? You have a case for your iMac?? How about for your Apple TV? No? Ok, so why is that? Because its stupid and no one else does it? Probably, if you were to really stop and think about it. Then why put a case on a watch? It is simply not socially acceptable to put a case on a watch. I've personally handled (and owned) many TRULY expensive watches and I've never even SEEN a case. The whole idea of taking something absurdly beautiful and wrapping it in something bulky and stupid looking is patently ridiculous.

The watch is a beautiful piece of functional jewelry. I know everyone wants to think of it as an iPhone for your wrist, but if you really think that then you're doing it wrong. Phones and watches are tools. The iPhone is beautiful and I enjoy looking at it and I like to appreciate its design and the precision of the engineering involved. Which is why it has no case. Watches are the same way, especially fine mechanical watches. Many watches have transparent case backs to view the mechanism. Would you put a stupid case on that? If so, you're entirely missing the point. Life happens. Dings happen. Scratches will happen. Especially with a polished stainless steel case, like the apple watch. You just have to get over it and remember what the thing is - a functional piece of jewelry.

But, then again, maybe you're the type of guy who uses a pocket protector and a case on your wedding ring...

19. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

Having a case on your phone is different than having a case on your watch.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Good luck getting your credit card company to replace your entire watch for a scratch.

21. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I can see a place for the cases in extreme sports like football or basketball. For daily use? I don't think it's necessary

22. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have it replaced because of a scratch but it doubles Apples 1 year warranty. That means if the battery fails or there is a hardware malfunction it will be replaced.

23. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

No, it's not. I never had a case for my iPhones 3GS, 4s, 5 and now the 6.

And yes every single one had a scratch or a ding eventually and I still sold them for a decent price when I was getting a follow up.

I appreciate the Apple design and I will sure as hell never put any device in a fugly case. I want to feel and see the nice haptic. Watches, phones, tablets are just devices for me that I use every day. That's it.