Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Those high end watches are intended for many years of use, though, if not decades. An Apple Watch will merely last a few years, despite being more high-end in certain ways.

Correct. Which is why I was indicating my appreciations for Saphirre to protect my Investment over Ion-X Glass. I understand tech is replaced every few years. I prefer the tech sides of wearables. But that's my preference over my other watches I own.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I think you made a good choice with the stainless option. Thats my preference.
Yes I have the first Gen SS 42mm, since they where released bought two of them a 38mm for my wife. My display started to fade after 14months it so bad that I can't see it at all in any kind of light. I shower in mine since having it. The gienus bar said it looks like water damage, and wanted $250 for fixing it or replacing it. Don't think so I put that $250 towards SS 42mm series 2, I live in Florida and is at the beach all the time especially in the summer, also do a lot of swimming at my gym LA fitness so true water resistant makes sense to me. Also SS will hold up better to salt water etc. And can be refinished back to new if there is scratches, can't do that with sport models aluminum. Besides all my watches are SS. I just like the look of the Nike+ watch SG with black & volt band, but after seeing the paint chipping I cancelled my order lol.
[doublepost=1481291039][/doublepost]
I'm think I will give the Black SS a try, but in all honesty these watches lose value quick. They also may seem to be made of premium materials but for something you replace every couple years I'm not sure it's needed....
I have the Sport now the look I could care less about with a suit. I do like the shinier look of the Stainless and the scratch resistant face. Only thing is, doesn't the sapphire face shatter earlier than the Ion-X Glass?
I think in all honesty the series 2 watches will hold a better resale value than the first Gen watches. Also I think that the features of series 2 is what apple should have done from the start with the first Gen watches lol.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Yes I have the first Gen SS 42mm, since they where released bought two of them a 38mm for my wife. My display started to fade after 14months it so bad that I can't see it at all in any kind of light. I shower in mine since having it. The gienus bar said it looks like water damage, and wanted $250 for fixing it or replacing it. Don't think so I put that $250 towards SS 42mm series 2, I live in Florida and is at the beach all the time especially in the summer, also do a lot of swimming at my gym LA fitness so true water resistant makes sense to me. Also SS will hold up better to salt water etc. And can be refinished back to new if there is scratches, can't do that with sport models aluminum. Besides all my watches are SS. I just like the look of the Nike+ watch SG with black & volt band, but after seeing the paint chipping I cancelled my order lol.
[doublepost=1481291039][/doublepost]
I think in all honesty the series 2 watches will hold a better resale value than the first Gen watches. Also I think that the features of series 2 is what apple should have done from the start with the first Gen watches lol.

Agreed. I never got my Watch wet only from washing hands. I use to clean my FuelBand in full water a few times. Now it'll be easy to run this thing under water and get a good clean. I feel the jury is still out though. I want to know what makes it water resistant because all I've seen is the speaker port ejects water...

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Agreed. I never got my Watch wet only from washing hands. I use to clean my FuelBand in full water a few times. Now it'll be easy to run this thing under water and get a good clean. I feel the jury is still out though. I want to know what makes it water resistant because all I've seen is the speaker port ejects water...
Well maybe it as something to do with water getting in through the speaker area maybe? Don't know. But all I know is it better not get damage by water this time around being 50m water resistant and All, because it will be put to the test with me for sure. I swim 3 to 4 days a week lol.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Well maybe it as something to do with water getting in through the speaker area maybe? Don't know. But all I know is it better not get damage by water this time around being 50m water resistant and All, because it will be put to the test with me for sure. I swim 3 to 4 days a week lol.

At least you got Apple Care I didn't lol.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
At least you got Apple Care I didn't lol.
Even if you don't have AppleCare+ If your series 2 gets water damage it's covered under your normal warranty by law apple has to replace it, because they are advertising there watch as being swim prove and to 50m or 150feet of water which I doubt most people will go that deep anyways.

Reactions: Dodgeman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.