Just Spilled Lemonade on My MBP Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Aug 14, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Furtunately, I shut it off, turned it over and cleaned with a micro chamois cloth in less than 20-30 seconds from when the accident happened. I let it be for a while and blow dried it then turned back on and tried every key and everything works thank God. Just wanted to share that. :cool:

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

turn it off right now flip it upside and leave it for another day cause thre still can be liquid there and it can screw it up later

turn it off now!!!

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

What he said

4. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I did! It wasn't just now, it happened really earlier today. I'm on my desktop computer. But I recently tested it to see if it was working properly right away then turned back off.

5. fel10 macrumors 65816

fel10

"The classic newbie mistake is to plug it in again after an hour or two of drying 'just to see if it works still'"

Source: http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard

6. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

It wasn't like a spilled the whole cup over the whole keyboard or something. Maybe like a spoon of lemonade or a little sip over an insanely small area. But I still freaked out cause I love my MBP. It will be off and upside down in a safe area until tomorrow, as I also start my college semester. Thanks for all the guides and links, although I have already read/seen most of them before since there are tons of posts about spilling liquids on Macbooks.

7. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Man, its like I see these kinds of posts happening a few times a week... Someday the Macbooks will be waterproof. :)

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Or people will learn that drinking and using your laptop within the same space don't mix. It baffles me how many people continue to consume beverages in the same area as they are working on the laptop, despite the countless posts of destroyed machines.

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I will echo previous posts and say to leave it off. Turning it on to make sure it's okay is a terrible idea. Let it dry for at least two days, regardless of how much lemonade spilled on it.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It's just the fact that it's so convenient and it "never happens". I for one, used to always do it back when I had a netbook. I never knocked things over on my desk. Ever.

However, now that I have a MBP and the thing costs 1.2k, I'll be damned if I don't cap the water bottle or put the drink 2 feet away.

11. wegster macrumors 6502

That would be damned cool, no?
    I've had a Toughbook before, and I believe at least a few models from different manufacturers did at least some level of 'anti-liquid'/liquid survival. I don't see too much of a reason to not have the keyboard backed by a waterproofed/resistant layer, with some channels going to a drain hole...except of course, it would require a few drainage holes in the casing. :)

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure the people who own thinkpads are laughing their asses off right now.

I mean, I'm never going to spill but just sitting down with somebody and pouring water on the laptop nonchalantly to see a reaction would be hilarious.

13. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Now that would be awesome! A water proof, or at least water resistant, laptop.

Now, the problem with the OP is that not only did he spill liquid on his but lemonade. Lemons are VERY acidic which I would think would wreck havoc with the logic board regardless of how quickly it dried out.

14. Heavertron macrumors regular

Fortunately, there hasn't been even a hint of real lemon in lemonade for a long time. The sugar is more of an issue, as it dries sticky and is harder to clean as it doesn't just evaporate away like water.

15. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

agree with above... hopefully u didn't put any sugar in that drink...

16. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Thats pretty acidic/conductive. I wouldnt doubt there may be some unseen damage.

17. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

My concern would be the sugar in the lemonade adhering to the circuits and that can cause some issues.

18. wegster macrumors 6502

19. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I really can't believe how many of these threads get posted here. It's like every single day - mind-boggling. Why would you drink casually over a machine that costs more than a grand? And sometimes twice that? I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I've owned laptops for 10+ years now, and I've never spilled a drink on it or in it.

OP, I would turn it off. If you look, there's another thread where a kid did the same thing as you. Everything seemed to be working fine, everyone told him to turn it off and let it dry for an extra couple of days. He didn't listen, and his computer went poof days later.

Turn it off, clean it out, and wait.

20. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

It depends on the lemonade. If it was store-bought then no, it probably doesn't have any lemon in it. If it were my homemade lemonade, you can bet there would be plenty of fresh-squeezed lemons and a whole lotta sugar in that glass!

You are right in that there have been a lot of threads posted recently about people spilling things on their computers. I know accidents happen but sheesh! I never leave a bottle sitting on the same surface as my Mac that doesn't have a tightly closed lid. If I'm drinking out of a cup, it's nowhere near my computer! Heck, that was the case when I was using my previous two crappy PC's, much less with the new MBP! Use some caution, people! I know it's a computer and you use it, but use it with a little caution.

21. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Something I was wondering about. If you spill stuff on your computer, wouldn't it be good to buy the laboratory-grade pure H2O and wipe it clean? Most liquids are somewhat conductive and that's what screws electronics up. Pure, distilled H20 doesn't conduct electricity -- wouldn't it make sense to use it to clean the mess you've made?

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That's exactly how I cleaned my wireless alu apple keyboard when I spilt (hard) cider on it, I soaked it in distilled water for an evening, and then let it dry for a good few days.

23. erasr macrumors 6502

It's funny, I did this nearly a year ago while at work. Well it wasn't me, some fool came over to my desk and sat on it, pushing my bottle of APPLE juice over the new MBP. Ermmm, yes I did leave the lid of the bottle off and yes it's normal for people to sit on desks at my work for the meetings.

Heart sank, swore my head off! Lifted upside down and half a bottle of juice came pouring out.

Switched it back on 30 minutes later because had to do a presentation, no choice.

Has worked since, fine....except horribly the trackpad has never worked since. Logic board, no issues, no other issues at all. It's crazy how much the laptop can take.