Just spoke to CPW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Musicmadnessash, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Musicmadnessash macrumors member

I rang them to confirm that I could upgrade there tomorrow.

He said you can but you will have to pay the cancelation fee.

I told him I was on the 45 a month tariff. He still said I had to pay a cancelation fee.

I'm extreamly confused, whether cpw have a different policy or if this guy hasn't been trained properly

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

More info needed. Are you an existing iPhone customer? If so, he was wrong and you don't need to pay.

If you are an existing O2 customer (non-iPhone) on pay monthly and you are still within your minimum contract period (i.e. 12 or 18 months since your last phone upgrade, depending on contract), you will have to pay to upgrade as O2 is still subsidising your previous phone. The same applies to contracts on other networks (you'd have to pay Orange or Vodaphone out, etc instead).

3. BigladUK macrumors member

What is I'm an existing iPhone owner (currently unlocked) and an o2 Pay monthly contract customer only 6 months in to an 18 month contract, who is just having his contact changed to be a regular iPhone tariff at no cost or contract length extension to allow me to legitimately use my iPhone on O2.............then upgrade to an iPhone 3G as a legitimate iPhone contract customer ?

I know the first bit about changing my tariff works as thats documented and going through as we speak but what about my ability to upgrade for only £100 and begining a new 18month contract ?

Si

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

As you're not on an iphone contract just a regular phone customer you will have to pay the remaining months of your contract.

iphone customers get special treatment because they didn't pay any subsidy when they bought their phones. You can't just start using an unlocked iphone on a standard contract and be able to upgrade early!

5. BigladUK macrumors member

If that reply was aimed at me then your first sentence is not correct. As a regular phone customer I can change to an iPhone contract without paying the remaining months on my current contract.

So tomorrow I'll be an iPhone customer on an iPhone contract so I don't see why I can't upgrade

Si

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I just spoke to their customer service/correspondence dept and was told that NO upgrades would be done in store.

Always thought CPW were one of the better phone retailers but for this... I'd just avoid them.

7. BigladUK macrumors member

My question was more do we think this method is viable as I'm in no rush and can get one in a week or two's time.

I can't see why I wouldn't be eligible.

I only said tomorrow cause thats when my contract should change.

Si

8. barryallott macrumors member

You will be able to change your tarriff to an iphone tarif but then you will have to buy a 3G iphone from ebay or somewhere else.

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The option to change existing contracts isn't available yet - they haven't changed the activation pages in itunes.

When you signed up to your current contract you got a subsidised phone that you're still paying off. You are not in the same position as someone who bought an iphone at the beginning. If you could do what you're suggesting the following would work:

1. Get Free N95 on 18 month contract
    2. Upgrade to iphone contract the next day
    3. Get subsidised iphone contract. Sell N95 on ebay

10. BigladUK macrumors member

I don't think an option to change contracts will be in iTunes as O2's webpages says

If they're on an existing O2 18-month minimum term contract, they can just transfer onto a Pay Monthly tariff for iPhone*. The end date of their contract will stay the same. Once their tariff has been transferred, they just need to connect to iTunes to activate the iPhone.

So this suggests that there won't be an automatic process to change from a regular contract to an iPhone contract but once your account is on one you can activate it via iTunes.

Your process above seems viable if O2 don't stop people upgrading to 3G Iphones if they haven't been on an iPhone contract for a while...I don't know it's just a thought.

BTW I have paid for an unsubsidized iPhone as I paid £329 for my 16gb Gen 1 model

This thread talks about the process involved in changing your contact to an iPhone contract http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515040

Si