Just spoke with LOCAL AT&T Rep: iPhone 4/New Plans/Launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

A lot of what I'm saying is stuff we already know but it may be useful to some and kind of puts a cap on it all.

This morning I contacted a local AT&T store about the new plans and they claimed to know nothing about it. I called another store and got a very nice lady on the phone who said she knew nothing but was very nice and open with me. I basically said that I know she didn't know anything about the new iPhone or at least wasn't allowed to say anything about it but told her that it was not a rumor that AT&T actually confirmed new data plans... she went and checked something and said she received no information today about it. She let me take her through MacRumors (this was over the phone by the way) and followed through to the official AT&T link. She told me she was very thankful for showing her this and asked for my name and number so she could contact me later... she wanted to "contact some people". We discussed the possibility of me coming in to purchase a 3G now so I could get grandfathered in before iPhone 4 came out all before we got off the phone the first time. About 4 hours later she called me back and confirmed the following.

- I CAN get a 3G or 3GS now, return it, and get grandfathered in (so long as there was no damage to the phone)
    - Phone CAN be returned ON launch so I can get the new phone
    - There will be NO form of unlimited data
    - The only way to keep your unlimited plan is to buy the phone OUTRIGHT every time, NO upgrades ***EDIT: (ATT says now that you CAN upgrade)
    - She said she was told by some higher ups that pricing remains the same with the new phone

She was completely aware that in 5 days she would know everything and recognized the fact that a new iPhone would be showcased by that time. The ONLY thing she said that she was told by a higher up that didn't quite make since because of all the rumors on here is that the phone would be released in July. I'm not saying she is lying but there has been quite a few rumors to lead me to believe it will be out this month. I was lucky to talk to her, she was very nice and went more than out of her way to get me as much info as possible. The guy at the first store was a jerk.

Thoughts?

2. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

wrong

from macrumors front page

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You are signing a new contract. this is correct as far as I know.

EDIT: interesting. Thanks.

4. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

yes...when you get the subsidized price or early upgrade you have to sign a new contract but you dont lose your $30 unlimited plan because of it.

5. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

i guess jailbreaking on 4.0 will be pretty much obsolete then, with alot of features, if people upgrade. such as, MyWi, 3G Unrestrictor, etc.

It was a good run guys, seems they finally won.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T confirmed repeatedly on their FB accout that we can keep our $30/mo plan when we upgrade. As long as we never choose to move to a cheaper plan, we won't lose our grandfathering.

7. stohr macrumors member

I just spoke to an AT&T rep on the phone, and he verified that if you are a current iPhone customer with the Unlimited plan, you can keep your plan as long as you upgrade to a new iPhone. You can use your upgrade, and you do not have to buy the phone outright.

8. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

This is what they said on their FB. So yes you may upgrade.

Hi Servando, if you already have unlimited data you are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. Customers are also not required to switch to the new plans if they renew their contract or switch to another smartphone. However, if they switch to one of the new plans, they will not be able to go back to their old unlimited plan.

9. plusonechoi macrumors member

What if I am adding a line to an existing plan? (my friend already has an iphone unlimited plan) will i still be on the unlimited plan since he already has it?

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You better do it now.

11. elephunkman macrumors 65816

If you upgrade, you can keep your current plan. But adding a line doesn't help after June 7th. Add that line now.

12. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

even with a bandwidth cap, why would mywi be useless? sure beats paying $20/mo. for tethering

13. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

^not to mention all of the other great jailbreak apps! This dude is crazy..

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im seriously considering printing the screenshot out and taking it with me.

15. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

CHECK THIS OUT... the lady called me BACK and stated she has also learned that people within 3 months or so of upgrade elig will be kicked back after the official apple announcement. I know we've already seen this happen somewhat but SWEET! :)

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

ask her if i add texting and bump my monthly bill to 100+ will i get the upgrade?

17. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Lol... I was actually thinking of going up there to meet her in person tomorrow (hey you never know! ;) she was really nice) and if I remember I will ask her but I'm going to bet no... And honestly, I probably won't remember but I'll try!

18. nateharr macrumors 6502

What I want to know is this: Will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan if I use one of my parent's upgrades to get the 4th Gen but never cancel my data plan?

I received the 3GS for Christmas last year as a surprise. (I had to sell my 3GS in September 2009 because I couldn't afford it.)

So now I'm eligible to upgrade in late 2011, but my parent's haven't ever had iPhones. I know I can use one of their upgrades to get the 4th gen for the discounted price, but will I be able to keep my unlimited $30 a month data plan?

I would assume so because I am not canceling the plan, I am only swapping the numbers.

If not I'll just keep my 3GS for a little while longer. I'd rather have unlimited data than a new phone anyways.

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

actually att lets you use anyones upgrade on your family plan on your phone. so you dont even need to swap sims.

20. nateharr macrumors 6502

Seriously? Awesome!

So I can go to AT&T with just my Dad (who is the account holder and has a credit card (even though I'm paying for the phone)) and make everything right?

I'd love to be able to sell my 3GS as well, but I am wary of doing this because of the new data plans. I realize I can sell my iPhone without canceling, but it makes me nervous. What if Steve announces that the new iPhones won't be available tell June 29th? I'm sure I'll still make a hefty sum of money after the new iPhones are announced.

To make this whole scenario even more complicated, I dropped my iPhone last Thursday and the screen broke. Currently I'm waiting for Best Buy to replace it with a new/refurbished unit.

I plan on not/barely using it until I have the means to sell it. (Preferably with the new iPhone already in hand. Maybe not. I may get ballsy. :D )

21. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

It's not your phone... it's your account... your data is protected :)

22. nateharr macrumors 6502

Well then I might sell my 3GS before the announcement. It all depends on when Best Buy can get the replacement ready.

Thanks so much. :)

23. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

think that will include all the people eligible on 11/20 or so?

24. nateharr macrumors 6502

I doubt it. 11/20 is pretty far away from June. But I've learned that you can use one of the upgrades on your family plan to get the iPhone.

That's what I plan to do, and keep my unlimited data.