Just started using Opera!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skippymac, May 31, 2013.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I've just started using Opera as my main browser and I'm absolutely loving it. I was using a combination of Safari and Chrome, but I found Safari too crashy to use at work and Chrome not nice enough to use at home (plus it has been getting worse recently IMO). I was thinking about starting to use Firefox, but I've never really liked it, and this quick release schedule thing is rediculous!

Anyway I decided to try out Opera just to see what it is like and I have to say it's great! The ONLY thing I don't like so far is the lack of a 1Password plugin, but the password manager in the browser is probably better to use, if not quite as secure.

Anyway the point of the thread was to ask people what browser they use and why, and also why so few people use this one? I don't know much about its history so did it just used to be awful?

2. Macrolido macrumors regular

Macrolido

I use Chrome because is faster than the other browsers and never crashes, unlike Firefox.

3. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Chrome has crashed a few times for me recently, and I think it's getting worse. I feel like google don't really give a crap anymore.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Although far from perfect, I use Firefox because it is the only browser that can stop Auto-refresh, which is a must for me. (Pity it doesn't respect scroll position on page refresh).

I used to love Opera in the Classic days, but it is now only a shadow of its former self, and the latest venture - Opera Next, is a backward step in controllability.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I had tried to use Opera over the past few years, always trying the latest version. But it never felt quite right. With Opera Next, based on the Chrome framework, I downloaded this morning, and began using it. Many things I like about it and I will use it. The lack of 1Password support (for now) is a drawback. But at least this is a usable, and very fast browser, faster than Chrome.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Glad your happy with Opera. I have tried it before on my mac, however decided to stick with Safari and have Firefox as a secondary browser. However Opera used to be the browser of choice for me on my old dumb phones I used to have. Used to love using Opera Mini on them phones.

7. coops macrumors regular

I started using Opera back in the Ad supported days on a windows laptop.

Still happily using it as my main browser on my Macbook.

I like the built-in email 'client' - easier to have it accessible from within your browser without needing yet another program just for email.

Always seemed pretty forward thinking - can't remember how long ago tabs came out and the 'speed dial' page when you open a new tab - all standard now, of course.

With better touch tool i can browse around very smoothly with the touchpad.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I was a long time Opera user since Version 5 which is like 15 years ago. At 11 I switched to Chrome because the Mac Opera wasn't very stable with Flash which got too annoying.
    It is the usability king of all browsers if you actually bother to learn some of what it offers.

As far as Versions go I think you might be out of luck. Opera in its newest dev builds intends to do something similar to Firefox and effectively get a new version number everytime Chrome does. In truth though it doesn't really matter what number they put on it.
    It is also a strange time to switch as Opera is right now making big changes. They effectively use Chrome as a base with Blink rather then Presto. So the new Opera will be much like Chrome but with Opera like GUI.

Opera basically invented almost all the great usability features of modern browsers. If they were a patent troll like Apple they could sue every other browser manufacturer into the dust (GUI wise). None of that stuff is patented though.

The password manager in Opera is likely to be more secure than any 1password. It uses client side encryption and the best known hashes. Using that is more secure than some 3rd party that needs to inject passwords over an unsecure API.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I switch back and forth between Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. I pretty much never use Safari. My biggest problem is trying to keep all the bookmarks in sync; I pretty much gave up on that. I loved Opera and Firefox for allowing a bookmark list on the side, making it easy to find bookmarks.

I've not had any of the browsers crash on me.

10. wblp macrumors newbie

I like safari best. It's fast and matched with os x.
    Chrome is a good one, but it's not fluent as safari.
    i have tried out opera next several days, I'd like to see more updates
    to be better.