Just swapped hard drives in MBP, have small gap between top panel and base now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ender17, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ender17 macrumors regular

Just got through doing a hard drive swap in my MBP, and I had a hell of a time getting the 5 snaps along the front back in. Still looks like there is a small gap on the left side where the hard drive is, but there aren't any snaps there.

What do you guys think?

Gap 01
    [​IMG]

Gap 02
    [​IMG]

Pressing down makes it go away
    [​IMG]

View from the side - looks good
    [​IMG]

From afar
    [​IMG]

2. skedealz macrumors member

yeah i swapped mine also and after screwing it back together, i noticed a gap too. so what i just did was disassemble it again and then i snapped the front part first, completely and that worked. just try to snap the bottom front first

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

On the left front there are small silver clips on the top case, that slide under the bottom case when closing.

4. Ender17 thread starter macrumors regular

well I thought I did that, but my attention was focused on the right side above the disc drive because that's where I was having trouble

I'll probably take it back apart in a few days when I get some free time. It's not that bad since you don't have to mess with removing the ribbon cables.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

I just swapped the drive again this weekend and noticed the same thing. I chose to just let it go.

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I had the same thing, only by the latch, I took it back apart and set the front edge in first and then worked it down towards the screen. Once I was done the gap was gone.

7. Ender17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I've got another question. The DVD drive makes a crunching noise when I insert and eject a disc, is this normal? It reads just fine and is pretty quite when in operation. Just worried I might have messed it up when I was pressing down on that area to get the clips back in.

Here is a quick video of it. Don't know why it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel.

http://www.filedropper.com/mvi6786agk

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just look the top case off and rescrewed it down.

Yes it's always been like this.