Just switched, a newbie question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmdeegan, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

I am switching from Windows to my first ever Mac, a macbook mid-level and so far, so good. I had to download some apps that I enjoy (firefox/bonecho) and now on my desktop I have the .dmg files plus the little icons that resemble floppy drives, for each of the apps

Are these things i need to move? delete? don't touch? I know in windows, I would just create a folder and move everything there, but I dont want to move things here yet, since I know so little about things in Mac OS X and figured better to ask first

thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you do is you open up the icon (not the .dmg file) and drag the program to the applications folder and that's it, it's simple. And to uninstall just drag the file from the application folder to the trash and empty the trash.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Mozilla applications have a little instructional imagery in the disk image once you double-click the .dmg file. It shows you dragging the application to the Applications folder. Other, similar installation methods show an alias to the Applications folder within the disk image.

Take a look at the background after you open the disk image. You'll see it.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

if you decide you don't like a 3rd party app and want to uninstall, iBookG4user is totally right, but i suggest also typing in the apps name into spotlight and finding where all the other bits (preferences, supporting files, etc.) are and deleting them as well.

christ, I'm still at work. I'm going home.

Congrats on your first mac. I don't remember 1984.

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

put the .dmg file in ur apps directory, then that driver on ur desktop, put it in the trash, then empty the trash, if u dont empty the trash, next time you turn on ur computer, it will come up on the desktop again, removing it from the trash