Just switched but have problem with internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mainaccess, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mainaccess macrumors newbie

Hello all

I have just made the switch to the world of the Mac (2.2 MBP to be specific) but I am having problems with browsing the internet.
    Browsing is painfully slow and half the time the sites dont load up at all. This the same in both Safari (both 2 and 3) and Firefox.

I originally thought it could be interference so I changed the channel hoping that would fix it. It worked for all of 30 seconds. After loading a few sites it would go back to its slow pace.

I connect wirelessly through a Netgear router. I have a PC connected aswell and browsing is fine using that (although it is using a wired connection). The laptop I had before the MBP also worked fine.

I have pinged the BBC website using the network tool and am getting times of 90 to 100ms.
    I also have FULL signal (according to airport anyway).

Any Ideas?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

What are the specs of your router? Also, try making another account and see if the same things happen.

3. cvance macrumors newbie

I just switched an my MBP internet is really slow. I downloaded Firefox along with the Fasterfox and the iMacros and it's still slow.

4. mainaccess thread starter macrumors newbie

My router is the following: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp

I have tried creating another account but the result was the same. Very slow browsing.

I had a quick look round the Apple support forums and there are a few similar prolems, however I still cant find a solution.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Try doing a direct connection to your computer via the ethernet cable. Are the results the same?

6. mainaccess thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea. It will have a wait a while though as it has just gone 1AM and I need sleep.

If I can find my XP CD I will install boot camp and what it is like under windows.

Cheers