Just switched from a 13" MBP to a 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chad H, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    Just as the title says one of my buddy's offered me $1200 for my 13" 2.26Ghz MBP w/o the Intel SSD so I had to jump on it. Oddly enough not 1 hour after selling it I walked in my local best buy and they were setting the newest MBP's on the display shelves. So I asked about the previous models and they a brand new 15" 2.4Ghz MPB w/ 2GB of ram. So, I snatched that and a free printer for $1300. Not a bad deal at all! So, after popping in my Intel SSD and 4GB of ram this thing is a screamer. Now, my 13" was no slouch but I love having the extra screen real estate. My question is what is the trick to the firewire cable on this model? I am looking a MyBook that is 1TB w/ firewire and didn't know if their was a special cable needed or if the external HD being a/c powered would affect anything? But again just wanted to say I do love the 15" and anybody thinking about it should grab one!

Oh one last thing, I geekbenched it with the spec's in my signature and it hit 3712 in 64bit mode. :)

-Chad

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Most 3.5in External Hard drives have the cable to connect to your computer (usb or firewire) and a separate a/c cable to plug in to a power outlet. Most 2.5in External Hard drives use 2 usb cables, one for connecting to the computer and one for power.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Might wanna post this in the sticky, just got a new...

BTW that hard drive is a/c powered.

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I'll keep my superior battery life and superior gamut screen, thanks :)

If the extra screen resolution works for you that's great though. Sounds like everybody won in that situation.

Ruahrc

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well, I have started looking now at some of OWC's external drives. Mainly because their casing is sleek. But didn't know if their were any "tricks" to the port. I am basing this off of some reviews from Apple's website under the cable's section.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and well done; that sounds a great story. May you and your MBP both live long and prosper together.

Cheers and good luck