Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
1) Is there anyway to hide the name of a text message sender on the lockscreen? I currently have it set not to preview the message but I want to hide the sender's name as well. Is this possible?
2) Is it possible to hide a text message sender's name in the Notification Center?
3) Is there anyway to get a contact's picture to show up in the SMS message app? This way it looks more like a chat.
4) I set up my GMail account as an Exchange account. How do I go about archiving an email versus deleting it? Does click the trashcan actually delete the email or archive it? I'd like to know how to do both.

Thanks!

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Also, is there a way for me to search my old GMail messages? For example, if I wanted to find an email from 7 months ago?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
When you go to Mail Settings, make sure you have your Gmail account to be synced as No Limit. Or 1 month/week if your prefer.

Then go back to Mail app and scroll down to accounts and under accounts tap gmail, then tap All Mail.

After that you should be able to search with no problem.

You can also choose to push the All Mail folder too if you choose.

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
#3 - Yes if you jailbreak - download a package called "contact" from cydia. Right now pictures in group mms' aren't working, but they will in a future update.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Also, I posted this in another thread and I'm looking for a solution:

Whenever I click on the SMS Text icon the app automatically opens to the last message I sent or my most recent unread message. It doesn't take me to the list off all my text messages (which would make the most sense) but instead it opens to the last unread message I have. Super frustrating. Is there a way to fix this?

For example: Sent a text. Exited the text and went back to the messages list. Pressed home button to go home. Locked phone. Got a new text. Unlocked phone. Clicked on the Messages icon. Messages icon automatically opened my unread text and took me directly to the conversation (completely bypassed the messages list screen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.