Just switched routers, VNC connections now being refused

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jman10135, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jman10135 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I took your advice and got an AEBS (XD). I also just bought a MacBook Pro and im loving both items. However, ever since I switched my Linksys router with my AEBS, whenever I try to connect to my new MacBook Pro or my old computer from my iPhone 3G (which worked perfectly before), it says the connection was refused. How can I fix this? I know i have the correct IP's and everything. Thanks :(

2. TheHumphries macrumors member

Have you forwarded the correct port(s) to the correct system?

3. belvdr macrumors 603

If you're doing this on the local LAN, then you have something wrong with the IPs.

If you're connecting over the WAN port (which is my guess), you need to forward the ports inbound. Additionally, your external IP most likely changed. Thus, you could be trying to connect to some other person's computer now.

4. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Open Airport Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility). Highlight your AEBS and click Manual Setup. Click the Advanced button at the top, and then click Port Mapping. For Public TCP ports and Private TCP ports, enter 5900. For the Private IP Address, enter the IP of the machine you want to access.

Ideally, I would boot up the old router and shutdown the AEBS and find out how you had them mapped before and duplicate them on your AEBS.

Again, your external IP probably changed when you swapped the router. Unless you use a dynamic DNS service, such as DynDNS, you'll need to relocate your IP in the Airport Utility (Internet button, TCP/IP tab).

6. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i tryed and now it said connection timed out and on my old linksys router i didnt have to do anything i just worked

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Sounds like uPnP. In Airport Utility, Internet button, NAT tab, ensure "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" is checked.

8. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. belvdr macrumors 603

How exactly are you connecting? What app and what are you typing for the address field. You're going to need to spill the beans, so to speak, on your public and private IPs.

Also, can you connect from one local computer to the other using the VNC app?

10. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im using Jaadu VNC and it worked before im pretty sure its my AEBS

11. TheHumphries macrumors member

I don't have an AEBS (should be arriving tomorrow, YAY!) but here is a screen shot example from my DGL-4300. Should give you an idea of "how to" forward a port.

As you can see from the attached screen shot, I have ports forwarded for several things. You may think this is a pain, but it is the best way to keep everything you do secure and efficient.

Attached Files:

12. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can only put down the ports, but not change any permissions or access :( when you get your AEBS see if it works. If it does, well i have screen shots of my settings maybe we could compare cause this is really frustrating! Good luck with your AEBS

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

When I've run into similar situations, it was a firewall thing. Arcane ports were being blocked. Check that.

In the case of the crappy Motorola cable modem/WiFi access-point that came with my Comcast installation, I could never get it to work with my vpn. Ended up getting a nice D-Link DIR-655, which has a very sophisticated firewall. Turned off the Motorola's WiFi and DHCP functionality and connected the D-Link via a cable. It worked great with my vpn.

14. enghamar macrumors newbie

same problem

I know this thread is kind of old, but I am having the exact same problem as you had. Switch out routers and my local VNC connections are now all timed out.

Did you figure out how to solve this problem?