Just switched to Mac, running into an issue.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JeffiJers, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I just recently made the switch to mac and bought a MBA 13/4gbram on an impulse due to it being the highest rated "ultra" book computer. And maybe i couldnt walk out of bestbuy without having it.

Using this for, web design and to run windows for 2 programs not offered in osx. (accounting and database) Also, very light photo & video editing. I am on the go and this computer comes with me everywhere. Use it at a desk, on my lap, and like now on the couch.

So, i find that this MBA might be coming up short in specs to fill all of these tasks.

Purchased from bestbuy and almost at the 30day mark to return this. So i need to make a decision in the next day or so.

What Macbook computer suites my needs? MBA with 8gb ram? I like that the MBP is upgradeable but for some reason I have something against that (maybe due to being spoiled using this slim/light MBA or that the smaller Retina is coming out)

Should i just return this and wait on the 13retina? or keep this and pick up an imac later? forget all of that and save money with the current mbp13?

Would the MBA with 8gbram really support this as being my only computer? storage isnt to much of a concern as i use external for big files

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you elaborate a bit?

B

3. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

4gb ram that i currently have. Not upgradeable. Could return to bestbuy and order 8gb from apple since BBY doesnt offer any with 8. Possibly the 1.8 I5 for the other tasks i listed?

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Its a no-brainer - return it and get the 8GB especially as you use the Windows programs with? virtualisation?