Just switched to MBP - Do I need a transfer kit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TAGF1, Nov 8, 2008.

1. TAGF1 macrumors newbie

Hello! On Monday I will officially switch from a PC (Windows Vista) to a unibody MBP! (2.8, 7200, 320G, 4GB, Fusion, MAC Office, Antivirus) Lot's of anxiety here. Anyway, Belkin has a PC to MAC Transfer Kit. Do I need this?

I have searched the forums and didn't find anything under transfer kit relating to the Belkin device. I have also Googled and got the product but no reviews or comments. My apologies if I have missed the mark. I am not trying to waste anyones time. Thank you for your help, in advance.

2. Nedturskakao macrumors member

Transfer kit - what?? Just use an external harddrive...

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If you have an Apple Store nearby bring your old PC and your Mac and they will transfer the data for you. Free of charge.

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

+1

Use an external hard drive to transfer your files. Don't forget it will only read Fat32 and not NTFS. Afterwards if you are only using Mac, format the external to HFS+

BE PREPARED! as a recent switcher you will be suprised how you will have no difficulty at all doing anything. I picked it up to a comfertable level in two days.
    It is easy.....

All you have to do is stop thinking how you would do it in windows, an just except OSX does it differently. Weird at first an then you wonder why you hadn't done it that way before? Its like holding your knives an forks the wrong way round and then finally figuring it is more comfortable to hold them the other way.

6. TAGF1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macmall told me too!???

First thanks for the feedback. Obviously a newbie...

Ordered from Macmall and got a bunch of stuff free, from printers to software. They told me if I was going to run Fusion and Windows I needed an Antivirus. I am a PC user (was) so this didn't surprise me at all. It is ultimately free anyway. Should I shelve it? Do I need it if I run Windows on Fusion?

OK, that's why I haven't heard of the PC to Mac transfer kit...no one uses it. OK, so I have the external drives, will do.

Still trying to get the feel of this Mac thing...

7. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I dont run any antivirus stuff on my windows because i only use it for games. But if its free why the hell not.

Give it a day or so and you will be a natural :) and wish you had changed sooner :)

Hope you enjoy you new MBP!

8. Nedturskakao macrumors member

Sorry for OT but it seemes like you got your questions answered.

I though everybody ran antivirus in windows :s i mean, you apple computer can be infected when it's running Windows right?! Could a windows virus in bootcamp actually affect your OS X partion?

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you run windows on your mac with bootcamp, you are susceptible to virus' just like everyone else. However, it won't affect your osx partition unless you pickup a virus that jacks up your hard drive. The only "safe" way to avoid virus' is to stay in Mac or unplug from the internet.

10. TAGF1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this also apply to running XP in OSX with Fusion?