Just Switched to Verizon DSL MBP laggy.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deadaim357, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

Hey guys for reasons I was switched to Verizon from Comcast. I've had Verizon before and am happy with them but, this time around after being forced into attempting to install stupid software my computer runs like crap. The software wouldn't play nice with my MBP at all and wouldn't begin the installation after calling Customer Service they said I "had" to run the software to be able to access the web. I went and got a drink came back and then all of a sudden without running the software again I was able to surf the web. I closed the laptop went back upstairs to my room opened it again and then boom my MBP is slower than my dads old windows 98 tower. Moving windows around is really laggy typing this is a pain in the butt because its so laggy. I've restarted, checked for anything weighing the cpu down and nothing. Any tips guys? Sorry for the bad grammar during this its just everything's all laggy and stuff.

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Sometimes this is due to the modem/router they've given you. Is it a Westell? For some reason these seem to have problems with Macs. In that case it's not a client software thing, it's the router.

Do a google search on "slow verizon westell" and you'll see.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here's an older thread for the same problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=248364

And here's a thread at Apple support. Lots of people having problems with Westell.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=327665&tstart=0

If you ask for their modem/router with integrated 802.11g WiFi (don't remember the brand), you'll probably get a better unit than the standard modem/router.

If you don't have a Westell, I can't offer any other suggestion...

3. Deadaim357 thread starter macrumors member

Deadaim357

Hey man thanks for the reply but, while waiting I ran a disk permission and cleared my caches and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks again.