Just tell me what iPad3 case to get

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lunch, May 31, 2012.

1. lunch macrumors member

I don't have time to sort through all the options of cases for my new iPad3.

Requirements
    1. Wraps all the way around, so not the Apple Smart Cover or something like it that does not protect the back

2. Reasonable protection from shock and dropping. I'm also using a neoprene outer sleeve for extra protection when carrying it in my backpack hiking and biking, so it doesn't have to be bulletproof for dropping on asphalt but should protect if it falls from my desk onto carpet.

3. Well constructed, so it fits well, does not interfere with controls and doesn't fall apart in four months. I have a Speck case for my iPhone and a Booq sleeve for my MacBook Pro and like these. Have had bad experience with Zagg so would like to avoid that brand.

4. Comes in subtle colors, so not just pink

5. If it comes with a screen protector, it should be removable

5. Price less than ~$80

WHAT SHOULD I GET?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I don't have time to do your due diligence for you. We all manage to find time for what we find to be important.

5. lunch thread starter macrumors member

I am not asking you to do the work for me. I am asking the people here who are far more knowledgeable on this topic than me to share what they know.

If you don't have that knowledge, obviously this thread is not for you.

If you have the knowledge, but don't want to share it, I think you're being ridiculous, but it's also your choice to live your life in that way.

For those of you who understood the purpose of this thread and had knowledge to share, thank you.

6. MathRulz macrumors regular

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I have these three and like them all, for varying reasons:

Joy Smartsuit 3
    IFrogz Summit
    Belkin Cinema Folio Stripe

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Another vote for Joy Smartsuit 3. Even though my iPad got dented when I dropped it while using the case.

9. JACathcart, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012

JACathcart macrumors newbie

"Due Diligence"? Really? The guy's just asking for advice from people who have bought and are using iPad cases.

He's not asking us to pass the bar exam for him.

10. glen e macrumors 68030

I understand what the poster was saying when he put up the due diligence post.

The reason is when you say "what should I buy? everybody puts down what they own, and the thread just goes on and on and on ....and you can never tell until you go out and touch , feel and try a few to see what you want. So these threads become just totally useless, it's just "I bought this one and I like it so you should too" and it joins the other 35 threads here, where people do the same thing.

You're much better off just doing a search what's been written here.

11. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

There are other things to think about as well.

Do you want it to have built in stands? Material is also important...leather? TPU, polyuleather... easy on and off?

Do you want it to surround the bezel? I totally hate those myself.

I used to hate that. Now I have the incipio flagship. The built in stand is nice but it gets on my nerve too. Some times simplicity is best.

I had been rocking the smartcover with Switcheasy backs, then the incipio feather.

After that I got the Switcheasy Cara which scratches like a mother. It doesn't stand up either. But I like the concept of simplicity.

I am leaning towards looking for a leather portfolio that is like the origninal ipad 1 cover.

12. Nhwhazup, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've tried at least 15 or more different cases - lost track but really a lot. Anyway, my two favorites are the Devicewear Bridgeway and the Yoobao Executive Leather. Both are really different from each other but I like them actually for their differences.

The Bridgeway is perfectly designed and comes in a few colors including black. It includes the snap in back case along with the attached smart cover in TPU. Everything about this case is top quality and the designers really thought of everything including a metal strip on the back to hold the cover tight in book mode.

The Yoobao Executive was a case that originally I didn't even take a second look at due to the bezel being covered. But the bezel part is minimal and only covers maybe half the bezel and is unobtrusive. The case itself is extrememly lightweight 6.5 ounces and just feels right on the iPad. I like that it has a higher typing mode and that it doesn't add any heft to the back with the leather back. Others have complained about the leather on this case but I find it rather nice for the price. Not vaja leather but overall really good. I ended up purchasing this is red and coffee and use most of the time. It gives good protection, feels good and is just light and slim. When I switch over to the Bridgeway for a change I immediately notice the additional weight.

Love these two cases.

13. mrnoglue macrumors member

Best case: khomo duel case

Hey bud,

Have this on my iPad right now. It protects both the front and back pretty well, looks good, and is super light. Also, it's easy to pop out the iPad to clean in if you are fastidious like me. The only knock against it is the 'smart cover' kirf top case is not as well made as the apple version. But for ~$20.00, it's hard to go wrong. Link below if you're interested. Hope this helps:

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-DUAL-CASE-Polyurethane-GreenPoly-carbonate/dp/B005P11X6O

14. transphasic macrumors member

And stating exactly what features the person wants, to narrow it down from the 12,000 cases available.

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Wife has the Yoobao and I just picked up the invellop. Both are "minimal cases" with magnetic on/off mechanisms. Both under $25. We are very pleased.

Neither will protect, likely, from a significant all, but they will protect from life's daily bumps and scrapes.

I didn't like the Bridgeway because the way it "folded open" for reading. The hindged back (versus edge) just didn't fold or line up correctly. I wanted to love it for its quality, but had to return it in the end.

FWIW.

16. greentaloy macrumors member

If you don't need a case then GGMM iPad 3 Transformable case could be a good choice with a comprehensive protection and subtle on colors option...

17. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

20. greentaloy macrumors member

GGMM iPad 3 genuine leather case could be a good solution for you with its comprehensive protection on iPad 3, as we know the leather case could do the best protection on shocks as well as scratches and itself is durable...they also offers a free screen protector could be removable,price in impression less than $70.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Another vote for a case from Joy Factory.
    I have the Connect-the-Dots and I love it!

22. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

I had Ghost Armor put on mine (front and back) and use a smart cover...perfection!